Crx w/ b16a big problem need help please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
Alrite first off the car is a 90 crx si with a b16a with a mild setup. Like type-r cams and a 74 to 68 mm throttle body portmatched to a ported b16 im, and more. But anyway there is msd and hondata. The hondata is a stage 3. And the sport compact msd with the external blaster coil. The hondata eliminates the rev limiter and speed govenor. Anyway though iin 1st gear it accelerates really quickly, and in second starts the problem. In second the rev limiter hits at 8k...why i dont know because hondata is supposed to eliminate this. But the car gets great acceleration but i hit the rev limiter. Then in 3rd gear the car hits vtec and stops making power at around 7400. But at around 8200 the power picks back up. Like it still accelerated through the power band but the power drops drastically between about 7400 through 8200 rpms. I have dyno graphs showing a drop of like 50+ hp being lost in this breif second. What could it be. It was dyno tuned at a well known honda shop called tempest racing. Any clue on what it could be that causes it to hit the rev limiter in second and drop power in third? TIA for any suggestions and advice.

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Jul 10 2004, 11:47 PM
Alrite first off the car is a 90 crx si with a b16a with a mild setup. Like type-r cams and a 74 to 68 mm throttle body portmatched to a ported b16 im, and more. But anyway there is msd and hondata. The hondata is a stage 3. And the sport compact msd with the external blaster coil. The hondata eliminates the rev limiter and speed govenor. Anyway though iin 1st gear it accelerates really quickly, and in second starts the problem. In second the rev limiter hits at 8k...why i dont know because hondata is supposed to eliminate this. But the car gets great acceleration but i hit the rev limiter. Then in 3rd gear the car hits vtec and stops making power at around 7400. But at around 8200 the power picks back up. Like it still accelerated through the power band but the power drops drastically between about 7400 through 8200 rpms. I have dyno graphs showing a drop of like 50+ hp being lost in this breif second. What could it be. It was dyno tuned at a well known honda shop called tempest racing. Any clue on what it could be that causes it to hit the rev limiter in second and drop power in third? TIA for any suggestions and advice.

I would have to see the timing/fuel tables for the Hondata at this particular RPM range.

if i can get them to you you could help out? Do you know alot about hondata? i have researched it but i am not sure. Tempest racing said the fuel was good and not sure about the timing? i will get them to you just pm me when you want them.

I am constantly learning and have many more experienced friends as well. I want to see if anything stands out. Just save them to a JPEG file for ease.

yeah it sounds like a fuel/ignition problem, what does the A/F look like in there, any big peaks/valleys?

Back