crx with (92-95) civic vtec swap help help help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

viperguy

Hello everybody, I have a question that I would like to ask and see if I can get some answer here. I'm planning on doing a (92-95 civic vx vtec-e d15z1 swap) into a crx. As I understand this will be going from 0bd0 to obd1. I will use the complete vx engine (including engine harness and ecu). I've been doing some research and from my understanding I will have to use a obd0 to obd1 conversion harness plug on the ecu part. What confuse me is this: you know in the engine bay shock tower where the fuse box is. That is where the ecu harness come from the inside (from ecu) to the outside (in the engine bay next to the shock tower and fuse box). There you can plug and unplug the engine wire harness. My question is how do you guys get the crx or civic (male plug) to fit on the (92-95 civic vtec engine harness female plug)? As I can see they are two different connector plugs so I would assume that they will not fit. Also on the other end of the engine wire harness, will I have to plug anything there? For the 88-91 crx or civic, that's where the engine harness plug into the fuel injection resistor box and another wire that goes into the fire wall ( I would assume it's going into the fuse box).

Is USDM and JDM (civic vx d15z1) the same(same plug sensors). Will I pass California smog with a jdm engine?

Use your stock harness and modify it to fit. The VX engine harness will not plug into your main harness, and unless you want to tear the whole car apart for no reason I would suggest buying an OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness and keeping the stock engine harness.

As far as the smog in California goes you can pass with a JDM engine as long as you have all the appropriate USDM emissions equipment on it. Considering you are swapping a 1.5l engine you might be able to get away with taking your car to a regular smog facility if the smog tech thinks it is the original engine (since the CRX came with a 1.5l originally). If you have to take it to the BAR you should make sure all the emissions equipment, including intake/exhaust manifolds and air intake, are OEM US parts or aftermarked CARB approved for the 92-95 CIVIC or you will fail the inspection.

DO you have a dx, hf, or si? If you have an si do not do the swap. Its not worth it. My 89 crx si was slower with the z6 I put in it.

Back