Crx Zc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rivan

Ok ive got a few questions about the ZC motor. I have a 1991 CRX DX. Question 1- How much are they generaly? Question 2- I know they drop straight in but do i have to swap out the tranny in mine? Keeping in mind that i have an auto. Im am hoping it will fit right in i plan on getting a torque converter and stall speed any way. Are there alot of bolt ons made for the ZC?? Any one have any sites where there is a detailed description of the swap? Thank you all in advacne for your helpl. And im sure that these same questions were asked and im sorry for that but, i dont feel like digging around the site thanks agian.

1. You can get one for usually $500-$600+shipping, or if you can find one locally (either at a shop or private party) you won't have to pay shipping, can run a comp test and inspect the motor, and can haggle the price down.

2. It'll fit right in, just a straight swap in terms of nuts and bolts. Wiring is another thing.

3. There aren't a whole lot of bolt-ons anymore for the zc, because most people are just biting the bullet and going b-series nowadays. Things like intake, header, and exhaust are available (for the intake just use a crx si intake, the exhaust a crx dx exhaust, and the header use a crx si and use a dremel tool (or if you're nuts, sandpaper) to enlarge the ports, because the civic exhaust ports are shifted a few mm in comparison to the integra, whose engine the zc most closely resembles).

4. Poke around hybridgarage and look for kenji's dx to zc wiring article. It has a step by step for the wiring changes. As for the engine swap, get a helm's for either your CRX or an 86-89 integra, and follow it.

I would say F the zc. Its a cool motor to build up, but why not just go single cam VTEC your already going to go some wiring with the zc and the z6 for ex. wouldnt be that much more to do. you can get cams (<~ meaning cam companys not daul cam) for the single cam vtec engine easier. VTEC why not? i dont know how clean your rex is but the auto dx trany i would think is weak as hell. Think about converting manuel or selling your rex and buying one with a stardord trany. try and find a si trany they're bad ass for the d motors. but whatever just my two cents.

You need a ZC longblock, a resistor box and necessary wires to convert your DPFI to MPFI (instructions are located here), and an automatic PG7 ECU from an 88-89 Integra. You can easily do this swap yourself for $600 or less if you know where to find the parts.

Ignore all the "You have to go B-series" comments, as it will cost you $1150 for the swap + $350 S/H + $350 for a mount kit. I can think of better ways to spend that extra $1250 (i.e., homemade turbo kit

Forgot to ask...where are you located?

I live up by Walla Walla, Washington. Now with the tranny are there any upgrades i can get for it to be worth a damn?? I really wana try and keep the auto, you know to be diffrent. Thanks in advance for all your help.

think about what your saying. You want to keep you auto dx trany to be different so then you can be really different and swap with an HF engine. Swap down not up and you'd be real different. not to put you down or anything but your swaping to g faster ....right? you can swap to a zc :sleep: or a SOHC VTEC :worthy: to be faster, but want moves your wheels? your trany is just as important as your motor. I just see no point having a swaped motor with a dx trany. trust me and try and find a si trany. But for reals its your car build it and drive it any way you want. what ever makes you happy.

why is a zc :sleep: and a z6 :worthy: ? In other words, why is 129 hp/108 tq, 2 cams, a stronger than d bottom end, and 9.6:1CR worse than 125 hp/106 tq, 1 cam, a d bottom end, an OBD gap, and 9.2:1CR? I would take the ZC any day for ease of install, tunability, and initial starting power.

the trouble with the tranny is finding performance parts for it. honda trannys aren't made for racing, and they aren't generally modified for racing. but the tranny can ALWAYS be changed in the future, even if that includes an auto-manual conversion. but if you are into the auto, don't sweat it. my zc (with cams and pnp head) on stock intake, header, wheels, and 2.5" exhaust w/ lx trans felt a lot faster with the butt dyno than my friend's 93hatch with b16.

you got me with the tunability. the starting power can be easily made up for with driver skills and or driver wieght. 4hp and 2tq. In this guys case i would say go ZC cause its easier then a sohc vtec, but your still going to do some wiring. its just sounds like he doesn't have much auto skill. For me the OBD gap is nothing. Out here ZC's are just worth a shit. If I was to get a ZC i would know it has been raced to hell and back. The look of a zc just does nothing for me. my stock si beats AF's stock zc hatch everytime. ZC's are just old school and are easily replaced with a sohc vtec.

Ok thank you all for your help and opion. I agree the tranny can always be swaped out down the line. And i am looking for the easier to use and tune motor. Im only 17 so your right i dont know much yet. Yet being the key term. Im just lookin for somthin beter then stock. IM gonna call around to some transmission shops here in town and see if they have any other words of advice. Thank you all very much for your help. If any one else has any thing to say please feel free and post here or e-mail me at: crxdx91@hotmail.com Thank you agian for all the help

Jeramy

Back