csx railroad ??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AHHVTEC

VIP
i was thinking about applying for the train conductor job that is open its a cargo train, i was wondering if anyone had done this and what its like, how much are you hone ect ect, i googled it with not much luck. all i found was info on passenger train jobs.

Hmm, check with me tomorrow. I work for UPS and am forever talking with the CSX people about the trailers they are moving over the rail for us. In fact, our HUB is right in front of the Orlando CSX location. I'll let you know if I am able to find out any info out for you. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

On the topic of trains, someone robbed my friends dads model trains (400 of them to be exact) and none of them were valued below $50 dollars. So if you see a train collection on eBay or something maybe let me know. But I dont have any info on being a train conductor, it seems like it would be a kind of cool job though.

i ran into a guy a long while back that was a train engineer; he made it sound like he worked for 10 day shifts, insane hours and nowhere near home, and then had some time off. he loved it though. that's all i got for ya. good luck!

:shrug2:

yeah the guy i knew was not hurting for money. he had a whole team of sled dogs and did the iditarod. i don't think you can do crap like that without free time and cash.

well i think i will like the long days but equal days off, and from what i did read its like 75k a year

umm... you don't just walk in and apply to be a conductor....

you need licenses, test, and more than likely half to work your way up the ladder

umm... you don't just walk in and apply to be a conductor....

you need licenses, test, and more than likely half to work your way up the ladder
well from what i could gather from hear say is that i get sent to school in atlanta for 7 weeks to train, then after that they offer you a yard job or more school to become a conductor because they need more of those than yard people.

My roomate just got a job with UP and I've talked with many people from the railroad industry - rail companies(UP/CSX/etc), contractors, and GE (they make an s-load of railroad equipment). Just apply and keep contact. The whole industry is rolling over with retirees so its a very good market for employment for the next 5-10 years. I thought about it, but audio is a passion for me.

I know that railroad has a lot of travel involved - they have large programs for almost all first year employees that includes about 5 months being at one central location with the rest as travel. This includes engineers, marketing, everything. But conductors are defined by the fact that they ride the rails at all times. But you wont always just travel for 10days and end up at home. As others have said, you will travel and then have downtime up to a day or two and then pick back up. This is really nice if you love to travel and see the country though - lots of opportunities to have great day-trips while you're working. It just gets hard when you're over 30 and looking to settle down.

My ex's grandfather was a conductor, and he was gone for a few days at a time, and then had two off...But he was with them for 30+ years, so I am sure that he had some perks and advantages that some of the newer folks didn't. He also made ridiculous money, like someone already said...

Starting as a conductor = train bitch. You drive once or twice a month, shitty hours, on call 24/7 and are expected to show up dressed and ready in 30 minutes. You show up when other conductors get sick, get over their allowed hours, or they need a train moved to the next town right now. The awesome side is you still collect your full paycheck, even though you worked 4 days out of the month.

I'm waiting to see what the e-mail I sent CSX will say about the qualifications and any type of "experience" you may need. I'll let you know either tomorrow or the next day.

I just called CSX and the guy that I am expecting an answer from doesn't usually come in until two in the morning. I'll keep you updated with any information I may be able to come up with. If you'd like to PM me your e-mail address, I will forward you any info that I may be able to get.

Isn't it sad that I have their number in my cell phone? haha I think I have around 450+ work numbers in my cell. No wonder I don't have a life. haha

rochester-train-wave.JPG

someone photoshop this for ahhvtec? :D

i did talk to one guy he said it was fun but he had to change jobs he said he got to where he couldn't take the ppl killing them self anymore he said that ppl will just lie right on the track and kill them self

do you have to stop the train and deal with the cops and whatnot? i could see that being a drag...or can you just keep truckin (or training)? wishful thinking, not likely i'm guessing.

do you have to stop the train and deal with the cops and whatnot? i could see that being a drag...or can you just keep truckin (or training)? wishful thinking, not likely i'm guessing.
i should have asked that but im thinking yo have to stop.

i wouldn't stop... just keep going. its dark and you never saw shit... and you obviously won't feel anything either

Back