CT Autocross Events 9/27-28

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 26 2003, 01:21 PM
Azenis Galoshes = 15" and greater
Azenis rudders = 14"

I agree the 15" Azenis are better than the 14". But the 14" aren't that bad. The key is to have enough pressure in the front (for FWD) to keep them from rolling over - but not too much as to allow them to skate.

Unfortunately, I think the 14" Azenis only comes in a 195 width, but for a 5.5" wide wheel (stock on many Hondas), that's a good fit. Anything wider than 195 is really too much for that width wheel. Stretching a tire wider than 195 onto a 5.5" wheel will pull up the edges and actually reduce your tread width. (At least, that's the theory.)

When I was running in E-Stock and then in G-Stock (when my Integra got reclassified), I used 195/55/14 Kumhos on 5.5 x 14" revolutions and did quite well. Then when I went to STS, I ran the 14" Azenis on the same wheel and felt very comfortable. However, STS allows a non-stock size wheel, so I 'moved up' to the 15" Azenis on a 7" x 15" wheel.

Chip

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 26 2003, 01:21 PM
...and they SUCK in the rain.

Sorry Steve,

When I responded earlier to your post I didn't immediately see the reference to the 14" Azenis in the rain. I sold mine before I experienced them in the wet, so I can't speak one way or the other.

Chip

Originally posted by Airjockie@Sep 26 2003, 05:01 PM
Well, the rim came in and I already got the tire mounted on it...damn...I'm fast...hehe

Super! So now Chris doesn't need to borrow my setup for Sunday then. :)

Well from what I have seen and done with the different tire/rim set up....this is my verdict.

15" konig Heilums with Azenis 205/50/15's kick ass at 28Front/32Rear PSI...good all round tire, wet and dry......very grippy, and few slides....very hard to oversteer unless the tire pressures are increased...plus they have the rim protector lip that save the rims from a lot of curb rash....and the stiffer sidewalls that allow the tire to perform very well....the heilums are a very light weight cast alumunim wheel that helps those over heavy tires perform correctly...for a honda. This setup is very stable for lighter Honda's to perform all around....track and street. :thumbsup:

The 14" Azenis's seem to wear down faster, and they have no side support to hold up on the track, but for street..they hold up fine...unless your Chris.....but I have heard and seen many complaints in the rain from many people.....so I think the 15's will be a better canidate for an all around tire. If you can get past the weight those tire have....

The Konig rages(I think, chris will have to tell us what his rims are) with the Nitto Drag extreems....slightly...errr...drastically worn down in the center patch area from over-pressurization on the air side, but used on an ex-Autocross car.....well....from what I found is...when the center tread is worn down, and only the side thread is left....these tires rock like a mutha fawker....I can controll the time I want to slide and the time I want to grip, just by the press of the control pedels...ie, gas ..brake... And I have found that they are very stable in the rain, givin that you don't try to push them as hard as the Azenis's...but they do grip better on the track than they do on the street...when pushed to their limits. these are monted on 14" rims and the rims are just a tad bit heaveir than the Heliums...but not by much....plus these tires are by far lighter than the Azenis's...so they also counter re-act to the speed of the car, and the hp they take...good tire...good rim... :thumbsup:

I have ran stock rims on other tires...but they just don't even get a decent rateing from me..so I won't even include them into my post....but for me...I will prolly experiment with more set-up's and post more info/opinions when I do. I still want to try some Yokahama A032's on 13" Mugen CF-48's...but that's down the road when I can afford tires again.....I got to many cars that needs tires and rims, so I am limited to the experiments for now...

Hope this helps in your set up....

wrong. the 14' azenis still handle well in the rain. its all in the pressure buddy.

i wore down my fronts in just about 2 months. granted, i did alot of burouts and ran them soft for a month and a half...

clay, ive heard some issues about the bigger heliums (width wise) rubbing on my inner wheel well under just some body roll.... martine's rims are slightly slimmer.

we'll see. rain or shine im on, and ive got a tarp.

wrong? No frikken way. The 14" Azenis are the worst tire I have ever driven in the rain. Remember when the Celica Nittos were skiny-bald and spraying wire belts out the side ? They were better.

from 25 psi to 51 psi - the Azenis 14" are horrendous passenger tires in the rain. Perhaps you have never truly experienced an excellent tire ?

What is your tire history, Chris ?

-> Steve

Hey! Stop bashing on my 14" Azenis!!! LOL

..... I gotta keep a positive mindset about my equipment man. <_<

sorta j/k .... :p

I hope I told you that the Azenis were great on dry, sucky in rain.

When I got them, the rain monsoons we were getting were over, and I enjoyed an entire season in complete dry. Then one day in early June it rained on my way home (on the Merritt Parkway) and I learned the ugly side of the Azenis. I slowed WAY down and took my time, then checked my setup.

I was running the full 51 PSI in them at that point. Next time I backed down to 40 . Same deal.

While travelling up from Philadelphia with Jeff is when I got in the life-boat and abandoned the idea of Azenis 14" in the rain. The entire trip was spent overrevving and sliding around the highway and NJ turnpike. We had to take breaks only to have a cigarette and coffee because there was no time to do this while holding onto the glorious Mugen steering wheel and listening to the rally like co-driver shouts ( 1R4 crest 3L in a finnish accent)

It was a hoot, but fatiguing.

-> Steve

Come to think of it, I did have experience with the 14" Azenis in the rain. On the street. The only time I had any trouble with them in the rain was at speed (80 mph) on the highway when I'd hit a puddle. They would hydroplane. But that's all I ever noticed.

The pressures you're mentioning seem way high to me, especially for street use. Around town, I ran them at about 30-31psi all the way around on my teg. No problem at all on the side roads - in a line or around corners. 40-50psi seems extreme to me. Even in autox I ran them at about 40-42f and around 36r.

I'm very safety conscious about things I sell. When I sold the Azenis and threw in the Nittos as a bonus :) , I was very careful to mention that the Nittos were old and maybe too hard for the street, and to be carful using them. My exact quote at the time:

"make sure your friend tests out those Nitto tires in a safe environment before trying them out for real. They're not exactly new as far as R-compount tires go. And they're definitely not all weather tires!"

If I felt the Azenis were unusually unsafe in the rain, I would have added that warning as well. I will say, however, when I owned them, they were very new and had plenty of tread. I must admit, I don't know their characteristics when they start wearing thin. Were the ones you had wanting for tread?

C.

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 27 2003, 01:58 AM
I hope I told you that the Azenis were great on dry, sucky in rain.

-> Steve

Yes Steve. Many many times too, in fact. lol. But they are ONLY "track" tires for me. You all know how much I hate the Azenis on the highway... noisy heavy things that they are. I've even posted this on H-T. <_<

And yes, Chip was very clear to me about his concerns for the Nittos, and I have several times passed along his concerns to the rest of the team. But Clayton is fearless in his quest for speed on the course.... turbo'ing the rex before rebuilding the engine is yet another example. :ph34r:

Originally posted by number9@Sep 27 2003, 07:18 AM
Come to think of it, I did have experience with the 14" Azenis in the rain. On the street. The only time I had any trouble with them in the rain was at speed (80 mph) on the highway when I'd hit a puddle. They would hydroplane. But that's all I ever noticed.

The pressures you're mentioning seem way high to me, especially for street use. Around town, I ran them at about 30-31psi all the way around on my teg. No problem at all on the side roads - in a line or around corners. 40-50psi seems extreme to me. Even in autox I ran them at about 40-42f and around 36r.

If I felt the Azenis were unusually unsafe in the rain, I would have added that warning as well. I will say, however, when I owned them, they were very new and had plenty of tread. I must admit, I don't know their characteristics when they start wearing thin. Were the ones you had wanting for tread?

C.

i ran mine at 27 (too low) and i never had any problems with them in the rain. maybe the handling characteristics of your civic is all wrong... using stock suspension. not trying to bash it though steve... but somewhat upgraded shocks do make a difference on how the tire handles the road. maybe thats my problem with the mirage, having blown to hell shocks and i have to wet weather traction on all season radials.

One thing is sure - even on the 15" Azenis - I can't stop worth a damn when it's wet. Don't stand near the finish at Bristol when I'm finishing. It's scary stuff.

Oh, the latest issue of Autoweek has an article on Drifting. I'll bring it tomorrow....

I'm working tonight...so what, big deal....and I worked last night, and I'll work tommorrow night...and I live father away and I'll still make it there.....

Sleep is over-rated.

I'm out, 5the car isn't running right. I'll probably stop by during the day. Look for the black crx with gsr rims and a shitty paint job.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 27 2003, 01:52 PM
i think im going to be missing this event afterall. i got called in to work tonight :(

B. let me use your helmet.

Wow....what a day....I get of work this morning...took a 2 hour nap...then got in the garage and tore the CRX turbo charge pipe apart...rebuilt it with 80% steel, and welds, and angles...took all day, tightened up the timing belt, and replaced the nose on the car.....then I fabbed up a blow-off valve...which I guess I have no idea if it's good, or where to hook up the vacuum line...it was an old mitsu BOV that looks like junk....well, I got in the car...and it just didn't pull like it did yesterday...but the PSI increassed by an 1 PSI...I guess the steel held the air better than the radiator hoses did....hehe....but I guess one of my wlds is leaking or a fitting is leaking...there is a friggen loud whisle every time the engine see's boost......I just got to work...and will be thinking about what to do to repair it from 6:15-7:00 in the morning, then fill up gas, and head on up to Bristol...once again...no sleep....going on three days now with about 4hours of rest...

Back