CTR b16b for my EG

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well i like out of the box pefromance the b16b already has the best stuff in it but the b16a with cams and tunning will make the same power, but theres that reliability thing again.to me this is how its goes as far as b series..b16b>b18c>b16a>b20b

Thanks for the info, I agree its better to get performance out of the box. I liked the b20 & b18 ideas earlier, but I don't wanna start mixing and matching different engines & trannys right now.

So its really gonna come down to either b16b, b18c1 or b16a and how much I wanna spend.

I want a good dd for now, but dont wanna have my ass handed to me should the odd occasion arrise. My old RSX type S lost to a b16a Ef hatch, ha ha, that was an eye opener. Of course the RSX was a nicer car.

lol i know what you mean but with 3 mods on a rsxs its ass whoopings for all eg b16a lol

lol i know what you mean but with 3 mods on a rsxs its ass whoopings for all eg b16a lol

Thats True;) ...too bad I don't have that car anymore, what a great machine.

BTW..just out of curiosity could you use a B16b ECU on a B16a?

well the b16b is obd2 so as long as the b16a was also then yes but it might run a little rich

well the b16b is obd2 so as long as the b16a was also then yes but it might run a little rich

I want to stay OBD1, What would be the best option for tuning a b16a (or b18C1) to running with type r cams?

I assume i would need to tune any b16a that i put type R cams into, or would I?

Last edited:
get an itr an swap and call it a day.

b16b stock for stock will be great for a road course where it is able to keep the revs high, for a street car or autox car its not the best option. i would not waste time with a b16a no offense to 92b16vx because i know he runs that but im sure even he would rather have the itr motor. i personally went with an lsvtec and purchased a brand new type r transmission.

of course I would love the ITR engine, its the pinnical of honda 4 bangers, but its not cheap.

I was saying that the B16a and the B16b don't seem all that different to me and the B16a is a lot cheaper...especially for a dd. Thats why is was asking if the B16b is overrated?

my question was could I put CTR cams into the B16a and basically have a poor mans CTR? since the tranny gear ratio's (as listed in the ref section by pissedoffsol) seem the same.

B16a w/ CTR cams & LSD vs. B18b w/ the same tranny? what do you think?

Did you just replace the cams or did you have to change out the the springs/retainers as well? It sounds like there isn't much diff between the b16b and the b16a. BTW how much of a difference did you notice by changing the cams? how do you find your setup, good dd, still aggressive enough for some fun driving now and then?

ahhvtec, were you referring to the block swap or changing cams when you said it wouldn't be as reliable?

Just cams. Lost a couple hp at the top, but picked up a noticable amount of torque around 2500+ rpms. Running a P30.

Really? you lost some HP? I wouldn't have expected that, but its good to know that you picked up some TQ.....TQ is better then HP anyway:thumbsup: .

get an itr an swap and call it a day.

b16b stock for stock will be great for a road course where it is able to keep the revs high, for a street car or autox car its not the best option. i would not waste time with a b16a no offense to 92b16vx because i know he runs that but im sure even he would rather have the itr motor. i personally went with an lsvtec and purchased a brand new type r transmission.

Having driven ITRs and ITR swaps...100% would suggest if you have the money for it, do it. ITRs are fun to drive, ITR swapped EGs are sick, twisted little beasts :)

The CTR motor is not overated, its just not an ITR motor. CTR motor is actually a destroked ITR motor. Its doesnt matter what obd your motor is you can easily match it up to obd-1 with a chipped ecu. Honestly save your money until you can get the motor that best suits you.

B16 vs. CTR 160-170 to 185? In the N/A world thats a significant difference.

Sure with cams, intake manifold, valvetrain, lsd tranny, ecu, slight port + polish, header and pistons you could build a poor mans CTR.

Get a 1.8 motor.

Having driven ITRs and ITR swaps...100% would suggest if you have the money for it, do it. ITRs are fun to drive, ITR swapped EGs are sick, twisted little beasts :)

:) Hows it going man? haven't seen your car posted up in a long time?

The general consenses seems to be that if I'm going to get a Type R motor then it should be the ITR instead of the CTR.

Last edited:
1.8L FTW

I did a LS swap in my EK used the sir trans, and I really couldnt be happier. I have minor bolt ons, intake, exhaust, and pulleys, and it really is great, usable power. Still good gas mileage too! 28 in the city on the last tank. And im not easy on the gas either lol.

The thing is if I save for a few more months I could definitely afford the GSR and prob afford the CTR or ITR.

If i got the GSR or B16a now I'd prob just keep modding it till I had a poor mans type R.

The B16b does appeal to me for some reason b/c it is a civic engine ( I know that sounds kinda dumb)...but all the advice seems to suggest the ITR would be a way better bang for my buck.

The thing is if I save for a few more months I could definitely afford the GSR and prob afford the CTR or ITR.

If i got the GSR or B16a now I'd prob just keep modding it till I had a poor mans type R.

The B16b does appeal to me for some reason b/c it is a civic engine ( I know that sounds kinda dumb)...but all the advice seems to suggest the ITR would be a way better bang for my buck.
well diffrent ppl will say diffrent things i say the b16b over the b18, i know this realy dont matter because this is going in a civic but a stock ctr car vs stock itr car from the same year the ctr will win..i say ctr ll the way

why does the larger displacement engine B18C5 ITR have higher overall gear ratios then the CTR B16b?

CTR
3.230 2.105 1.458 1.107 0.848 3.000 4.400

ITR

3.230 2.105 1.458 1.034 0.787 3.000 4.785

Wouldn't the smaller B16b engine need higher gear ratios (more TQ multiplication) then the larger B18C5?

the B16b would win? I'm kinda confused

yea the ctr would win that is if there in the car that they come from and there are sevral vids proving this. and the b18c5 is a usdm motor not jdm

Back