CTR b16b for my EG

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well it cost me about 2700 for the h22a to get put in and going down the road in my 96 civic

I thought that the H22 was only good for straight line drag racing and not daily driving? I've already got Progress springs (-1.5") & Tokico HP's so I dont wanna change out my suspension.

I noticed toronto JDM is having a sale on ODB1 H22's....its a good price! but it seems like quite a difficult swap to do.

How bad is the understeer though? I like the way my EG hatch b/c it handles pretty good right now. What about Axel issues?

Does the H22 come standard with an LSD? It does snow occasionally in Dec - Feb where I live so traction might be an issue. I gotta ask about the H22 b/c I was starting lean away from the B16b and go back to the B18b w/ ITR tranny and I know it has an LSD.

B18b w/ ITR tranny is cheaper then the H22 swap, but only b/c the H22 requires aftermarket mount kit.

Last edited:
If you auto-x, go to the track a lot, then you will notice an increase in understeer. As for dd, it won't really be that noticable and should be very easy to get used to.

The suspension you have now is fine, and I'm pretty sure you won't have issues with the axles. The h22 doesn't come with an lsd stock, but you can get one for $300.

The swap should't cost more than $3000 if you have all of the correct parts and shop around for deals.

In the end, you are gonna get what you want. We are simply giving you the info you need to make the most educated choice you can.

Comparing the b18b to the h22 is silly.
H22 puts out great numbers.
B18b puts out very good numbers for the price.
H22 weighs more
Plus you can always go LS/VTEC, and make decent numbers there.

If you auto-x, go to the track a lot, then you will notice an increase in understeer. As for dd, it won't really be that noticable and should be very easy to get used to.

The suspension you have now is fine, and I'm pretty sure you won't have issues with the axles. The h22 doesn't come with an lsd stock, but you can get one for $300.

The swap should't cost more than $3000 if you have all of the correct parts and shop around for deals.

In the end, you are gonna get what you want. We are simply giving you the info you need to make the most educated choice you can.
Shit I just found a complete H22 swap I believe it came with the mounts for my car to for $2500 or $2800. I wanted to cry, I was like dam if only I had waited 7 months, I could've gotten the H22 for way cheaper than my itr swap and still did the upgrades I did to the R and still have money left over.

How do you figure an itr swap would go for the same price or less that the b16b:confused:
Because the 96-97 ITR and the B16Bs are usually with in a few hundred dollars of each other. ITR is more, but you get more engine. That little extra torque and horsepower is going to be expensive to squeeze out a B16B and dollar for dollar every mod you could do to the CTR to get more, is going to produce the same if not more on an ITR, and, in daily driving will pay off huge. Not to mention you can usually find private individuals selling ITR swaps for under what dealers are selling CTRs for. The lowest I have seen one go was a complete swap for about $3000. Of course you could always marry a B16A head to a GSR block, throw in some CTR cams and voila poor mans type ARRR.

1.8 > 1.6.

Because the 96-97 ITR and the B16Bs are usually with in a few hundred dollars of each other. ITR is more, but you get more engine. That little extra torque and horsepower is going to be expensive to squeeze out a B16B and dollar for dollar every mod you could do to the CTR to get more, is going to produce the same if not more on an ITR, and, in daily driving will pay off huge. Not to mention you can usually find private individuals selling ITR swaps for under what dealers are selling CTRs for. The lowest I have seen one go was a complete swap for about $3000. Of course you could always marry a B16A head to a GSR block, throw in some CTR cams and voila poor mans type ARRR.

1.8 > 1.6.
We can only speak of what we know, the cheapest I've seen an itr swap go for was $4000 and $3000 for the ctr and only cause of what you said, they were the older type r's

Thats why I'm here, Hondaswap is the best place I've been to for good info.:thumbsup:

Gotta give a thanks to everybody who's replied, the info is very helpful. I'd rather get all this info in one thread then post many threads all asking relatively the same question.

As far as the H22's concerned, thats good to know that it won't screw with a dd's handling, ya i'm not doing auto-x or anything like that and I don't drive around street corners like an idiot either.

The H22 would require:

Engine/Trans
HCP mount kit
Accord shift linkage
Axels? not sure

Am i missing anything?

I'm just trying to compare costs with other swaps like the B18b w/ ITR tranny or B18c.

To those with the H22 swap in an EG...have you had any problems with it so far?

Last edited:
B18c1 is the 2nd cheapest one, bout 3300 from places like hmotors and toronto jdm. b18b will be cheaper but honestly, it wont be as much fun. the b16b is overpriced for what you are getting. with the b18c1 you're getting similar if not better, numbers for less money. You could put down itr numbers with gsr and bolt ons.

the h22a does come with a lsd, you just have to buy the right one, and you will need 90-93 integra axles if you use a 90-93 accord jack shaft and you will also need a 90-93 accord fuel rail

the h22a does come with a lsd, you just have to buy the right one, and you will need 90-93 integra axles if you use a 90-93 accord jack shaft and you will also need a 90-93 accord fuel rail

Jack Shaft?

Why would I need the accord fuel rail? wouldn't the H22 come with its own fuel rail?

yes but the fuel rail is diffrent,,but the jack shaft is also known as half shaft or intermediate shaft

ehh i wouldnt knock the b18b1 so much.
its really a blast, especially with the right tranny.
so much potential also, make 220+ whp on stock internals with f.i.

awesome!

and.. its not torqueless like the 1.6's

ehh i wouldnt knock the b18b1 so much.
its really a blast, especially with the right tranny.
so much potential also, make 220+ whp on stock internals with f.i.

awesome!

and.. its not torqueless like the 1.6's
yea but to get that power you have to turbo it

How reliable is an H22 swap? I know the engine would be fine, but i've heard that you can have prob with the axels....is this true?

I've seen HCP mounts on ebay as low as $100 and hmotorsonline sells them on ebay even cheaper then that, why is hasports so much more?

yea thats kinda true but if all your gona do is have it for a dd it will be fine, but if your gona keep your ac and power steering if you have it, you will have to buy brackets for it to fit

yea thats kinda true but if all your gona do is have it for a dd it will be fine, but if your gona keep your ac and power steering if you have it, you will have to buy brackets for it to fit

Well I dont have or need AC or power sterring so that not a prob.

Back to the axels and shift linkage, could i not use the axels and shift linkage that come with the swap?

For example TorontoJDM.com - Total Japanese Domestic Motor - JDM H22A OBD1 ENGINE (SPECIAL PRICE)

How tight of a squeeze is the H22 into the civic engine bay? are their any clearence issues?

you will need new axles. and it is a very tight fit for the 92-95 civic you will have to cut some in the engine bay, but the 96-00 civic theres no cutting needed,besides for the new shifter, and you will have to cut for a shiffter on both gen civics

you will need new axles. and it is a very tight fit for the 92-95 civic you will have to cut some in the engine bay, but the 96-00 civic theres no cutting needed,besides for the new shifter, and you will have to cut for a shiffter on both gen civics

How much cutting is involved? I dont want to start hacking away at my engine bay.

This is my first engine swap so I might be better off with a B-series, but I know the H22 would be more rewarding, however, anything would be better then my 1.5L oil burner.

well for the 92-95 civic you have to cut away some from the passenger side fender well and passenger side motor mount

Back