CTR b16b for my EG

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well for the 92-95 civic you have to cut away some from the passenger side fender well and passenger side motor mount

In that case I'm gonna stick with the B-series on this swap (my bro's got a 97 Dx hatch so maybe I'll do an H22 on that sometime in the future). As for my 93 Dx EG I'll either go:

B18B w/ ITR tranny
or B18C1 w/ ITR
(or CTR*/ITR - only if I can find it on special for a good deal)

*though this thread suggests its not worth the $$ compared to the ITR

The cost issue only depends on how long I want to save for. The B18b I could do right now. As for the other two I'll have to save for a few more months.

I know the B18C1 will be close to the B16b, but don't plan to mod these engines any more then bolt-ons, maybe cams or tuning. (ie no turbos or Nitrous).

The cheapest prices* I've seen so far are:

ITR $3900
CTR $3400
GSR $2800 (without LSD)
LS w/ ITR Tranny approx $2000

*USD of course

those links i put up are for compelet change overs

The ones I listed included

COMPLETE ENGINE
WIRING
ECU
HYDRAULIC TRANNY LSD
MOTOR MOUNTS
AXELS
SHFT LINKAGE
AC COMPRESSOR - I'll be getting rid of that
DISTRIBUTOR
CLUTCH
POWER STEERING
ALTERNATOR
STARTER
INTAKE MANIFOLD /EXHAUST MANIFOLD/DOWNPIPE

Sorry about the caps...I just cut and pasted. There is still additional $250 for shipping to add on.

I agree with you about your earlier posts, I would rather have out of the box performance over heavily modding an engine IMHO.

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question, but are the Type R motors any less reliable or harder to maintain then say the LS?

How reliable is an H22 swap? I know the engine would be fine, but i've heard that you can have prob with the axels....is this true?

I've seen HCP mounts on ebay as low as $100 and hmotorsonline sells them on ebay even cheaper then that, why is hasports so much more?

As far as I know, the problems came about more in the first few years of the swap, mounts hadn't been ironed out yet, HASports first design was changed I believe to am more optimal placement, would have to read to confirm it was theirs though. The last couple years though I haven't seen nearly the negative press once more people got over the stigma of a H in a Civic. Hell, I has going to put a H22A4 in a CRV and the vtec the B20 for my Civic,

b18c1 w/lsd shipped will be cheaper than the b16b and the itr motor. Youll get more tq than the b16b and the same hp. I'm not sure where the confusion is.. id rather spend less, get a bigger motor with the same hp and more tq when compared to the b16b. If you really wanna go cheap then get the b18b. Unless you are keeping the motor absolutely stock, then save your beans and get the itr motor.. but if you plan on putting i/h/e and a new intake mani then get the b18c1 and call it a day. b16b is overpriced for what you're getting. the h22 sounds lke its a little bit out of your realm of experience, B series would be the best match. And the most cost effective swap is, atleast to me, is the b18c1.

Each motor is just as reliable as the next depending on how you take care of them, ofcourse. Save your cash and get the b18c1, itll be plenty for a DD.

Well the LS seems to be the low budget swap, decent power, but I dont wanna be sitting around several months from now wanting more power.

For the higher budget choice it comes down to the B16b vs the B18C, which are both matched pretty evenly. The B18C does make more TQ, but doesn't the B16b's transmission make up for this?

B18C would seem to be the more logical choice as the B16b is about $600 more, other then that it seems to be a matter of opinion.

Is the B16b only more $$ b/c it rarer?

Last edited:
this is just my two cents but if all you are gona do is drop a motor in and do nothing else to it, unless you put a h22a or a k20a, in there your gona want more power

this is just my two cents but if all you are gona do is drop a motor in and do nothing else to it, unless you put a h22a or a k20a, in there your gona want more power

Always looking for ppl's $0.02

I know I'll be doing bolt-ons I/H/E etc since I already have the Intake, SS cat back Exhaust, & high flow Cat on my car.

Thats the trouble with power....you always want more;), but If I've got a good amount to start with I hopefully shouldn't want more for quite a while. For now its a DD, but in a few years if I get a second car (dd) then I'll consider going all out.

Last edited:
yea some friends of mine had the same mods in there hatch but in mine i had the h22a and i would beat the hell out of them everytime, so unless its just as fast of faster than a h22a hatch its slow to me lol

yea some friends of mine had the same mods in there hatch but in mine i had the h22a and i would beat the hell out of them everytime, so unless its just as fast of faster than a h22a hatch its slow to me lol

Well i dont think you can get anymore powerful n/a engine in an EG (at least not without alot of work) so yeah I guess all others would seem slow. That H22 big power is tempting though:cool:, but its a little more work then i want to deal with right now.

coming from a 1.5L SOHC though anything would seem fast LOL.

Last edited:
yea i know what you mean, the first swap i ever did was a h22a in a civic and i did it by myself

what type of radiator did you use? I heard there was clearence issues.
what mount kit did you use?
did you do your own fab on the down pipe?

When you say you beat the B18C hatch....How badly are we talking?

Last edited:
1750 itr tranny brand new
500-600 ls block
225 vtec kit by golden eagle
200 ecu chipped phearable.net
700 gsr head
450 ctr cams
150 aebs intake manifold
100 arp head studs
100 itr new oil pump
70 itr new water pump
40 itr t belt new
50 hondata gasket im

other option you can look into, this is my set up.

Thanks for the ideas for swap setups, I think just about every type has been discussed.

But for me It's gonna come down to the B18C (GSR) or the B16b.

I know the 1.8L's got more TQ and its cheaper, but the 1.6L's tranny is better (and there is something nice about a type R 100%oem quality) so for me its a toss up. Either way I gotta save a little more.

I'm just looking for something thats oem reliable and quicker then my old RSX Type S.

cheers,

Last edited:
what type of radiator did you use? I heard there was clearence issues.
what mount kit did you use?
did you do your own fab on the down pipe?

When you say you beat the B18C hatch....How badly are we talking?
i used a 99-00 si radiator with a slim line fan, i used enjo mounts, and i just put headers on it and went to the muffler shop and had it all welded up from the catback, and i beat then about 2 and a half to 3 cars sometimes 4

You could always just get a b18c1 and get a b16 or itr trans.... torontojdm.com has each. Maybe he'll cut you a small deal for being a member here... ;)

Back