1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CTR cams in a stock b20/vtec

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by CRXSi86, Feb 22, 2007.

1. CRXSi86

CRXSi86 Fatty

hey guys,just wondering how "precise" we are talking to the valves and piston clearance with ctr cams, the block is stock 97 B20B and a stock 93 integra XSi 170 HP head/b16 head, i would like to do the ctr cams, but idk if it can be done with the stock pistons/rods... help me out

2. CRXSi86

CRXSi86 Fatty

so it is possible, is it "safe" to do, or should i just stick with the stock b16 cams, i just dont wanna bend a valve first thing when its finised

3. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

I would upgrade to GSR cams at the least. I think the CTR's are a bit much. Im not engine genious but, the B20 wont last long if you try to rev it to the point that the CTR's shine, you dig?

4. CRXSi86

CRXSi86 Fatty

yeh maybe i might just go with the gsr cams, thanks for the help, but with those do i still need the adjustable cam gears?

5. CRXSi86

CRXSi86 Fatty

how do you clay the engine, like what do you mean by that, i think i have an idea, but just wanna make sure...

6. alterdcreations

alterdcreations Member

the biggest cams that you can run are itr cams safely
    but the compression is so low on the b20 blocks that you might as well keep the b16 cams unless you can get a great deal on gsr cams
    their are alot of drop in pistons for that block that will put you at 11.5:1 compression and the valve refiefs are large enough for ctr cams or any aftermarket ont that you choose.

7. CRXSi86

CRXSi86 Fatty

yeh gsr cams was going to be my next option, i dont know if i wanna do ctr's, just cause the clearance will be so much smaller, gsr cams should be alright, if not ill just stick with the stock cams, like my car wont be fast enough ;)

8. CRXSi86

CRXSi86 Fatty

yeh well, i will try it out, possibly clay the pistons and check it, but im prob. not gunna do the cctr's i think i will stick with the b16 or MAYBE gsr's

9. CRXSi86

CRXSi86 Fatty

thanks for all r help guys

10. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Sure it will- it breathes 25% more air than a B16 by function of displacement alone- so it will definitely be able to take advantage of the additional flow even below 8000rpm.

11. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Really? Thats cool, I thought the CTR cams would be too large for lower RPM operation.

12. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

The head has to breathe 25% more air no matter what rpm level you're at, right? Sure, the compression is lower- but the cams that have been optimized for a 1.6L engine now have to support a 2.0L engine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted