CTR intake cam a dropin in my gen 1 b16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Samuels

I saw honda motors has the CTR intake only camshaft for 240 shipped. I've read that its a good upgrade and i'm about to change my cam seals. I've heard the exhaust side on my b16 is basically the same any info advice? Does this require valvetrain upgrades?

Is this good for 7-10 hp? I have I/H/E and skunk2 intake manifold in a gen 1 b16?

I'm not sure what ECU I have but what would be a decent upgrade without the dyno time.

yea that'll be a decent upgrade.. the exhaust cam is identical to the ITR exhaust cam... doesn't require a valvetrain upgrade, but while you're in there it wont hurt to get the CTR valve springs / ITR retainers in there.. its cheap insurance...
i dont have before/after for my cams, but it definately pulled harder

My experiance with the CTR cams is...I lost Hp, but gained a lot of torque 8lbs-ft, that's on a dyno. The entire powerband felt more aggressive, and responsive at lower RPMs. I could probably tune the HP back, but I am lazy.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Mar 18 2005, 03:35 PM
could you post the dyno plots if you have them??
[post=475278]Quoted post[/post]​

Let me see if I can find the digital versions, if not I can take pics again (they are analog)

s403dd7cf30d52.jpg

And this one is with the CTRs, sorry for quality, I had bad light :(, but you can see it is a little lower. They are German analog graphs, so they may not make sense to you.

gallery_630_77_47109.jpg

That sucks and does'nt really sound worth it. I can't read that dyno chart but how many hp did you lose on the top end. I'd love some more torque but not at the expense of top end power. I'm about to spray it with a 55 shot zex dry kit because that wet stuff scares me having to be tuned and I thought that be a nice cheap easy upgrade but i'll probably pass now.

Anybody else have experience with CTR cams??

Did you run both CTR cams or just the intake side??

That was with both CTR cams, and the torque gain was worth the 3-5 Hp at the top end. Like I said, it added power everywhere, and 3-5 Hp, could be the difference in a few degrees outside or a slightly higher elevation.

I talked to my mechanic today and he said he would install the CTR intake cam and my cam seals and set my timing for 120 bucks. The cam is 240 is it worth it 360 bucks installed?

Should I buy cam gears? Will it make a difference?

With cam gears you could advance/retard timing, but you want to do it on a dyno, with other tuning tools also.

Okay I ordered the CTR intake cam today and my mechanic will install it and my cam seals saturday.

I was told by a local shop that I needed upgraded valvetrain atleast the CTR/ITR 1's. He said it was even more needed if I ported the head because it'd rev so fast..

To take advantage of these what should my timing look like I have no gears?

Also I plan to spray it with a wet 50 shot are thier any concerns?

A cam isn't going to make you motor rev any faster, and as long as you don't exceed the B16A revlimit, than you will be fine on B16A valvetrain. Sounds like your mechanic is trying to sell you something.

Not that upgrading your valve train is a bad idea, it's just not 100% nescessary.

Its done, at 1st I was like WTF. I drove it for 50 miles before getting into it like my mechanic suggested. When I 1st got on it I did some pulls from 4th and 5th not extremely hard. I could'nt tell no difference at all and I thought it felt weaker. When I finally could get off the freeway and did so low gear pulls its noticable. My car pulls sideways in 1st and 2nd and did'nt has much before. It also churps 2nd much louder on my 17's. So the torque defintely improved somewhat has well has how fast it revved seemed quicker. The VTEC seems less noisy though BEFORE IT GROWLED REALLY DEEP now its a different kinda loud I don't likey has much thier.

So in conclusion it was a better upgrade then a intake or header was on my car.

Thats exactly where I can tell the difference in sound when it changes over. It was alot deeper growl before but its still loud just a different sound.

Back