CTR Intake vs 00/01 B18C5 Intake cam

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CAFROG

Honda Minion
VIP
So I have read all I can find on type r cams and I am looking for a set of OEM cams. After research....I want the CTR's for the intake but I haven't found any in the last 3-4 weeks. I found some new 00/01 ITR cams and (from some readings) the Intake on that ITR year is the same as the CTR.....but I want some input from you guys. Cams are $295 a piece OEM brand new (which is expensive....I know) Just wanted to know if they are the same cam or not. I have read they are the same but still want some input.

Morning bump! Well, I know the Intake cams have different part number and that may be a sign that they are not the same.

CTR intake cam has 3 degrees more duration than 00-01 ITR intake cam.

Exhaust cams are the same.

Cool, thanks B. I knew about the exhaust but I now know about the Intake. I can get one form Hmotorsonline for $225 and $295 for exhaust but I'll look some more and wait to see if I find a used set cheaper....if not...new is always good too. And for less then $550...hard to beat for new quality cams.

Thanks....I figure I will look for used springs/retainers once I go the cams. The cam search seems to be the biggest challenge so far. I did find a guy selling 00 ITR cams and I'm waiting on pictures. He lives close to me and I can check them out before purchase (If he gets back to me). After that....I'll hunt down some springs/retainers...then to see how much someone will charge me and compare it to buying a spring compressor tool (roughly $60-80)

Edit: guy just wrote back (about the 00 ITR cams) and said pictures are on the post....uhh...no. I'll check it later

Last edited:
So the cams weren't type r camshafts. I think they were either B17A or B18C1 cams (3 lines on the outer rings)

Then a few days later, I found an add for CTR intake and ITR exhaust camshafts. They were the same GSR cams after I got good pictures.

Can someone enlighten me on the theory of degree'ing cams? I dont know if I should with the type r cams (YES I know I dont have to). Will it make tuning that much better? Or is it simply change the springs to type R, change the cams to type R and put adj cam gears on. I know cam gears have rough settings for this set up and my head hasn't been milled so it should be relatively stock set up. Just wondering if I should think about checking the degrees so I know where hte piston/valve relationship is optimal. If there is an optimal setting...maybe someone can fill me in on some info.

Most of the dyno pulls i've seen like 1 degree advanced on the intake cam and 2 degrees retarded on the exhaust cam. This is just a generalization as i've seen some like the cams spot on or even the intake advanced one degree and the exhaust spot on. But obviously, it all depends on your set up.

I'm over it for now lol. Its been a pain in the ass and I'm leaning towards just swapping out the B16 for a 98+ spec (figure its about $2200-2300 after I sell my swap)

Back