CTR, ITR, or stock B16a crank pulley?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sol2nr

Here's my situation:

I have a JDM B16a in my del sol and up until yesterday was running both my A/C and P/S. My crank pulley has been cracked for a long time now and i have been looking into replacing it, but was (and still am) a little reluctant/scared to get anything other than the stock b16a pulley to replace it.

Yesterday, somehow i snapped the bolt that holds the A/C pulley bracket in place and to get the pulley and bracket out i cut the P/S belt. So now i have no P/S or A/C. I like the performance gains of it, so i'm considering getting rid of the A/C and P/S for good.

Now heres my question....
What is everyone's opinions on the CTR N1 race crank pulley?
From my uinderstanding, the CTR one does NOT have a harmonic balancer, so will I be asking for trouble if i rip the A/C and P/S out and run a non-balanced much lighter crank pulley?
What about getting the ITR crank pulley instead?
Its lighter than the B16a and balanced right?....and with it i can still reconnect my A/C and P/S right?

thanks for any input.

-Rob

the N1 is balanced and has no spots for PS or AC
the ITR still has the PS/AC spots so i wouldnt imagine its any lighter than a B16 pulley... if it is its not enough to care about

if you want to get rid of the PS/AC permanantly then get the N1 pulley (its on my list for shit to get) if not then just get whatever stock pulley you can get for less $$$$

your not making enough power to be worried about it at this point

Word, but for myself keeping AC this time around, but plan on cutting off PS pulley side of crank and have it balanced.

Milan

Correct me if i'm wrong..but isn't it a big (expensive) job to have the crank/engine balanced?

what exactly is involved in doing so?

thanks.
-rob

having the rotating assembly balanced isn't that bad price wise if you have all your parts out and doing labor yourself.

Milan

i kind of have a similar question. right now im running no options, but as soon as i get a bracket ill have ac, it gets hella hot here. does anyone have a lightweight crankshaft pulley that includes ac?

No, the CTR n1 pulley is NOT balanced. my buddy Tom had one, and sent it out to get balanced, and it looks machined like a balanced crank does (meaning, it was shit for balanced from the factory).

If you are going to remove the PS pump- save your rack- loop it: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202
just removing the pump will cause damage to the power rack. it needs the fluid to circulate.

toy army- no :) only ones are pulley kits like Unorthodox racing- but those aren't balanced either.

yo pissedoff, what do you mean he sent it out to get balanced? to where? and what does that actually involve?

sorry for the ignorant questions, but i'm not knowledgable about the harmonic balancing and stuff...

thats a great thread, that is my plans. i came across it a week ago.

sooo.....my real question is: How can i "safely" get rid of my P/S and A/C? I plan on doing the power to manual mod described in the link above and just ripping all the A/C components out and not running it's belt anymore, BUT DOES ANYONE STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST DOING THAT AND USING THE CTR CRANK PULLEY??

sorry if i'm repeating myself.

-rob

pissed is right about converting to a manuel rack when dropping out the PS. As far as AC is concerned there is a 2.5lb AC bracket that jdmhondaparts sells which is a little lighter than the DelSol bracket.

I always thought that N1 pulleys were balanced from honda, guess not. Make some calls to machine shops and places that assemble import motors and ask them to do the work.

Milan

it shouldn't cost more than $30 to have a shop balance an already circular object.
balancing is pretty much just like your wheels.... they put wieghts on them to make sure they spin round, and not in a WAH WAH WAH WAH vibration on the road. some thing applies, only instead of adding a weight, they shave off some material in the heavy spots, vs adding it to the light spots.

if you want to be safe- simply rip out the a/c an dbe done with it.
loop the rack as above, and rip out the ps stuff, and you're good to go.

Back