1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CTR N1 crank pulley on b20b

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by 89vwfox, Nov 27, 2008.

1. 89vwfox

89vwfox New Member

i heard they shatter oil pumps pretty easy. and it seems like most people are having problems with high revving built engines on forums. I just ordered one from HMO for my daily b20.....the guy i talked to said it should be fine using it on a daily driver as long as i don't use a lightweight flywheel along with it and that it has also been pre balanced but with no rubber dampener.

Any body else have experience using this pulley on a b20 with MINOR mods? Any info would be much appreciated!

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Balance was never the issue. A flywheels do nothing with dampening, so I don't know why he said that...obviously does not know what he's talking about.

I'd say it's a 50/50 issue, especially with the B20/B18A/B blocks which have the largest stroke of the B-series. B16(which the CTR pulley was for anyways) have much shorter strokes and less crankshaft flex/torsional vibration. As long as you're not beating on it, it should be fine.

3. 89vwfox

89vwfox New Member

yea id say its 50/50 to.could my b16 transmission make the problem worse? at 60 mph im turning 4000rpm.

4. 89vwfox

89vwfox New Member

yea id say its 50/50 to.could my b16 transmission make the problem worse? at 60 mph im turning 4000rpm.

5. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

As long as you're not pushing it, it should be fine.

6. HATCHET_HONDA

HATCHET_HONDA scottie fizzle

ive been looking into this too. i have an n1 pulley on the b16 in my ef hatch. i havent got it running yet . i bought one so i woulnt have pulley clearance issues. i hear its 50/50 chance too. this hatch will be a daily driver so im thinkin as long as its not revving high everyday and like gettin a 100 shot of nos my oil pump will be ok..i hope

7. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

The B16s are less likely to run into problems with the CTR pulley; they have pretty short strokes(making the crank more rigid) and make less torque than the larger engines.

FYI, the B16 has a shorter stroke than even the D15(some of the D15s didn't come with dampened pulleys either).

8. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

9. 89vwfox

89vwfox New Member

More info please from daily b20's!!

10. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Fluidampr makes a damper with an underdrive alternator pulley also ;)

11. 89vwfox

89vwfox New Member

81 views 9 posts. come on guys someones gotta have a b20

12. 89vwfox

89vwfox New Member

Any body have a stock b-series crank pulley for sale? thinking about taking a gsr pulley to a machine shop and having the a/c and p/s shaved and rebalanced that way i can keep the harmonic balancer.

13. HATCHET_HONDA

HATCHET_HONDA scottie fizzle

i hate indiana, ppl (especially girls :( ) are so anti honda.. i couldnt get a shop to resurface a flywheel for my hatch.let alone machine and balance a crank pulley

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted