Ctr Pistons In An Ls/vtec All Motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
I am currently building an LS/Vtec and I plan on using CTR Pistons. I know that this will put me in the 12.5:1 CR. I only run a 91 or higher octane in my b16a right now and wouldn't plan on changing that habit. I am really worried about knocking/pinging. I've been told that If a I run a colder plug and a hotter ignition(MSD) that I should have no problems on pump gas. Can anyone comfirm this or have any experience with this setup? Any views are welcome. I just need to know before I go blow 3 bills on CTR's. BTW this forum rocks. Keep it up.

well, I think the ignition and plugs would definitely help. They key would be tuning. Get it tuned properly, and make sure you have a valvetrain thats going to be able to handle high rpms + compression. 12.5:1 compression is entirely possible for an n/a build, but it just takes tuning and the right parts. Get it tuned up properly, and run that thing to 10k. I'm sure it will make impressive power.

Definitley. I already have Eagle Rods, all ARP studs, entire skunk2 top end(cams,gears,springs, valves, retainers) Block gaurd, ETC. I am trying to make this thing as indestructable as possible. I also plan on doing alot of tuning. Thanks for you words. Is there anyone out there with this setup? I would really like to hear from someone running this.

I ran 12.6:1 compression in my B20/VTEC- and the only aftermarket parts were the ARP fasteners, Eagle rods, and Endyn pistons. That's it. It ran fine on 93 octane gas, and with more careful tuning should be doable on 91.

Thanks. thats all I needed. 91 in So CAL thats the highest pump gas I can find. (excluding those few with 1 pump of race gas). BTW, You are the man. My respects.

I'm running an lsvtec setup w/ CTR pistons and it hauls ass especially when vtec kicks in only problem i'm having is over heating which i can't figure out why.

91 pump gas and ls vtec should be good the hole key is tuning if you wanted you could run higher comp if tuned right :worthy:

Im kinda a n00b to this forum, but i had a question on this subject, Im going to build an engine pretty soon, and i was thinking about ls/vtec, but ive heard a lot of bad things about them. For instance ive heard if u rev them past 7k u get a piston through the sleeve? Anyone heard of this? By strengthing the rods and pistons, and a block guard u can rev a B18? Isnt the R/S a little too low? Im interested in how your car runs...i like the setup, let me know how it runs ! Oh ya what part of cali r u in? Im in SD...

Read through the forums. There's TONS of information about rod/stroke ratios and the debate about them, along with the debunking of a lot of false information.

Back