CTR Pistons in GSr Block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

what kinda mods will i have to do in order to put the ctr pistons in a gsr block.?i have heard that i need to "shave the rods" but i figured i would check n see what everyone has to say

you dont have to shave the rods. the ctr pistons are a perfect fit for gsr rods. compression will be very high. for a more mild build b16 or itr pistons would be a better choice.

gsr with USDM ITR pistons = 10.8:1
gsr with JDM ITR pistons = 11.36:1
gsr with USDM B16 pistons = 11.37:1
gsr with JDM B16 pistons = 11.6:1

take your pick

werd, i opted for the JDM itr's for about 11.3:1 thats plenty to run on the street on pump 93, no pinging or detonation, and will support a stage 3 cam no problem. going higher may net you a couple more poinies, but its not worth it IMO on a street car.

Originally posted by formby@Apr 18 2005, 03:02 PM
too much CR...put in some pr3 or itr pistons....

ctr pistons in gsr 12.9:1+
[post=488397]Quoted post[/post]​

i thought they were around ~11.8-12.2:1(in GSR block) or something... Mahle sells some 9cc dome pistons(little larger than CTRs) for the GSR and rates them 12.5:1 CR

i agree the ITR or B16A pistons would be a better choice though

larger dome- sure.. but the CTR's sit above the deck of the block.

the c-speed and the rest of the calculators are wrong, and don't take that into consideration.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 18 2005, 03:47 PM
werd, i opted for the JDM itr's for about 11.3:1 thats plenty to run on the street on pump 93, no pinging or detonation, and will support a stage 3 cam no problem. going higher may net you a couple more poinies, but its not worth it IMO on a street car.
[post=488417]Quoted post[/post]​

so are ctr pistons a bad choice for a street car? what is bad about the ctr pistons that make jdm itr pistons a better choice?

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=717928

this thread is way above my head. i don't understand how to pick my pistons.

Higher compression = higher temps = easier detonation =bye bye motor.

Shape of the pistons, how much is sticks out of, or under the cylinder walls, all determine the CR. ITRs have "more room" inside the cylinder during compression, which makes the ratio lower, and there for makes it a more suitable piston for everyday driving. Very high compressions require good fuel tuning to keep them in check, lower the ratio the less accurate it has to be.

Back