CTR pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
i'm thinking about getting some CTR pistons to bump my c/r .. i'm just wondering what all i'll need to run those in my b16.. i already have CTR cams, valve springs and retainers.. but i'm thinking about upgrading the valve springs/retainers but i dont really know whats good .. any info appreciated..

is there anything else i should upgrade while i'm in there.. i dont have to much $$$ but i have some to play with

Last edited:
what ecu do you have?
i would get an ems rather than pistons;. get a p28 and pistons at the same time. that way you can tune right after.

but why not just get forged internal and forget about it. a set of forged units goes along way. if NA just go 82mm 10.5:1-11.8:1 would be a good street set up.

btw i dont think i want the fpr. i'm getting an adj one.

if your running ctr cams you really dont need to upgrade the valvetrain. If you plan on getting stage 2 cams or something with alot bigger lift like the type R's then yeah go ahead. You really dont need to get anything really. Just make sure you check over some stuff like the water pump,oil pump. If its pretty old then go ahead and buy them to have that peace of mind. umm new bearings and arp bolt perhaps? Anytihng you can afford really.

My buddy is selling p30 pistons with b16 rods already on them. That way you dont have to have them machined. i think he wants 160 for them.
Formby is right on going forged but your gonna spend some pretty good cash flow.

it is something that i would buy and it would sit there until i had the rest for it.. so while the motor is apart i can do everything at once..

i dont even know if i'll end up doing any of it.. this was just a thought... i really wanna build my motor but i dont have the $$ to do it the way i want.. i'll probably build it with OEM parts.. its still my only car..

Last edited:
i have a USDM p30.. but i'm not gonna chip it.. leaving it virgin

you want to tune it trust us. With a high compression you definitly want tuning. Its not a rule,do what you want but i strongly suggest you at least get p30 tuned if you dont want a p28.

how do u plan on getting this thing reffed next time?

i dont need to ref it again.. i would buy another ecu to chip.. leave this alone so if i do need it...

would bumping the c/r make me fail the ref

if upgrading the pistons shouldnt really be expensive or hard at all. Its when you have to tune,pay for aftermarket cams,intake mani and crap thats gets expensive. not to mention labor cost if your gonna pay someone. i say put the p30 pistons in there and happy revving. you can save up for type R header intake mani,cams or whatever oem parts you choose while you drive it. If you get the pistons and and fasten the rods and head using arp thats all you can really upgrade on the block(unless you go forged or go lower compression). everything else is pretty quick as far as the head goes.

ohh crap i forgot you in california. damn you guys cant do anything out there can you?

i was told my motor was a b16a sir2.. if it is .. then wouldnt i already have p30 pistons.. is there anyway to tell which motor i have exactly without opening it up..

if you up the compression and try to use a stock ecu, you will fail the ref.

if your engine code only says "b16a" you have p30s. If it say b16a2 or a3 you have pr3s.

pcts will be your best bump in compression if you still want it after the ref info.

ok.. maybe i'll just free up the head then.. let it breathe a little easier..

can anyone tell me how to check what motor i have.. will it have a p30 stamp on the block anywhere

itll usually have it on the head or on the intake manifold. mine has p13 stamped EVERYWHERE.

ok.. so i already have p30 pistons so that idea is out the door.. what the hell is pcts?? i was thinking about milling the head when i have it ported..

and another question.. will a JDM p30 be more ideal for my motor??

PCT pistons. those are type r pistons....it thought thats what you wanted.

check out this website (lots of fun)

ZealAutowerks - Honda Compression Calculator

as for the question about the jdm p30. if the ref doesnt open your ecu cover, why not chip it? i dont think the jdm p30 will do a whole lot if you were actually able to pass the ref with the usdm one.

i thought you told me good luck passing the ref if i swap out my pistons for CTRs..

would i be able to run p73 pistons??

Last edited:
that is what i said. and i still hold to that. ive heard that its hard enough to pass with a jdm b16, replacing them with pcts will make it even harder.

running p73s will BARELY bump your compression (if they are jdm. if you go with the usdm p73s, youll actually lose cr) and will just be a waste of money

in cali i would go about it a tottaly diff way.

i would leave the stock 81mm but i would forge[same CR] then i would give it a healthy shot of nitrous.

i know alot of people say that nitrous is for pussies, but i think of it as a great alternative to spending alot of $$ at one time.

that is what i said. and i still hold to that. ive heard that its hard enough to pass with a jdm b16, replacing them with pcts will make it even harder.

running p73s will BARELY bump your compression (if they are jdm. if you go with the usdm p73s, youll actually lose cr) and will just be a waste of money

well.. i've already passed BAR so i dont see why i would need to go back.. right??

and i would use the JDM p73 pistons.. i dont need my compression too high.. just a little bump is all i'm looking for..

Back