CTR pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

by little bump i mean you go from 10.48 to 10.53 (adjust a little bit, but it gives you an idea of how small a bump im talking about)

CTR pistons will take you to 11.93. thats why i said its probably better to keep the stock pistons.

Wrong. CTR pistons will NOT bump your b16's compression to 11.93. I remember reading somewhere 10.8:1 on a b16 with CTR. That said, I passed smog with my 11.5:1 LS motor here in Cali. It took a couple of times, because my tuning was off, but I fixed that. That said, I say go with the CTR cams, but why would you not want to tune with all the performance upgrades you already have? You could probably extract a good 15-20whp with good tuning and the bolt on's you have. It's a must for higher compression too, otherwise your combustion temps are gonna fry your rings.

Also, if you have CTR cams, the only way to higher performance is aftermarket. CTR cams have the same lift as JDM ITR cams (11.5 IN, 10.5 EX), and have marginally more duration on the intake side, so switching to any other OEM honda cams would be a performance drop. I recomend RM m24x or milder m22's if you want a good set of bumpsticks for all motor.

As for headers, DTR makes good ones, RMF and SMSP are arguably the 2 best header makers out there, and they cost a pretty penny, ~1000 for a set, but they are amazing. RMF is in my future :). If you want something less expensive, the DC 4-1 stainless ITR header with the 2.5" collector is decent for the money. If you don't want to fork out the cash for an SMSP, DTR, or RMF piece, I'd just go with the DC unit. Anywhere in the middle is just a waste of money for marginal improvement over the DC. Hope this helps. You are in Bakes, so if you're ever in need of some help, I'm only the 166 away.
Mike

thanks Bergy.. i was thinkin about getting the JDM ITR header so i can retain the heat shield... i'm trying to go the cheapest route on my build.. no need for high performance parts when i can make decent power on OEM parts, right?? well.. power within my liking..

mike, a few things. CTR pistons in a b16 WILL be about 11.9:1 compression ZealAutowerks - Honda Compression Calculator thats the most accurate compression calculator out there.

m24x will be way to big for a b16 motor.
RMF and SMSP dont make headers for the 1.6 motors. all for 1.8+. toda header makes great power for a 1.6l engine.

mike, a few things. CTR pistons in a b16 WILL be about 11.9:1 compression ZealAutowerks - Honda Compression Calculator thats the most accurate compression calculator out there.

m24x will be way to big for a b16 motor.
RMF and SMSP dont make headers for the 1.6 motors. all for 1.8+. toda header makes great power for a 1.6l engine.

There are quite few guys running the m24x cam in their b16s on the RM forums, it just depends on how you want to drive your car. The m24x are designed for peak flow, so you're gonna see them out breathing the competition at the top end by quite a bit.
As far as headers go...SMSP and RMF are custom fabricators by my book. All it takes is shortening the tubes a little. If I'm paying 1000+ for a header, I'm sure that Dave or Randy can make their product for a b16. Just email them and ask. They make their product to order, so I'm sure custom orders are not a big deal, and it's hardly custom just to shorten the runners. Toda does make good stuff from the dynos I've seen.

As for the pcts...I didn't take the differences in compression height and deck height between the b16a and b16b blocks into account. my bad, I retract my previous statements about the CTR piston CR. That will definitely be too high to pass smog in cali without a really good tune.

I think for a great drop in cam with very little tuning, would BCIII+. They have great mid to high power. BCIII+ will work with CTR v. springs as long you don't pass stock redline. M24x i think is a bit too much. But there are ppl who do run them. And have great sucess.

As for a header. MikeBergy, is correct SMSP or RMF. These are the headers. RMF at the moment is going to be a long wait. As he is moving to a new location and trying to setup. At one point i believe there was a 4month wait for a RMF header. So worth it tho. Dave@SMSP seem to have very good deliever dates. Maybe the Rage header could a possiblity as well. Its $799 retail for a SS header.

These are just all thought's. Everyone here is pointing you in the right direction. Good luck on what ever your going to get!

well.. i like to keep my CTR cams since i already have them.. one less thing to buy

it'll most likely be top end power because its a b16

Back