ctr problem ..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Crix

A freind of mine went to LHT in Florida today and found out that the ctr from talking to Jhon is a garbage pulley to use on high reving motors. I guess because there is no harmonic balancer that it puts alot of stress on the oil pump and shatters. Ive seen proof of this he has 3 motors there from the cause of that pulley. I would like to hear other opnions, what you guys think.

I have changed over to a oem honda crank pulley. Iam looking into Fluidampr.

Iam also wanting to know what if the ctr crank pulley was balanced with the whole rotating assemblely? Would it still be worthless to use? Does the ctr in Euro/Japan use a differnt oil pump?

wow....never heard of an OEM pulley doing that...are these sealed parts when bought.... might be cheap knock offs...ive used it no problems

No Honda pulley has a harmonic damper in it. They have a rubber ring that insulates the outer surfaces of the pulley from the hub, thus shielding the crank from shock when the AC compressor clutch engages or when there is a suddne load placed on the power steering. A true harmonic damper is like something made by Fluidamper and is nothing at all like the Honda pulley in functionality. Whoever says that the CTR pulley shatters oil pumps is blaming it for some other problem.

Aftermarket pulleys make power (a little bit), but they won't make your motor last. Since they don't have the rubber insert, they don't absorb vibrations. I'd go with an OEM pulley.

Next time one of your friends tells you 'Man, my oil pump shattered because I was using a CTR pulley', memorize this phrase: 'Lick my colon, you fucking moron.'

Actually he is probably telling the truth. In japan Honda makes (or has someone make) a CTR N1 pully. It has one pully on it for an alternator, and it is race only. I had one for a while and I was debating using it in my build. I have not seen the damage that these pulls cause, but have heard, they like the eat up alternator belts, and that they like to prematurly wear out crank bearings. A few knowledgeable honda challenge guys pursuaded me to not run that pully on a street car.

yeah, Honda doesn't even make the CTR pully. If your that desperate for power get the d-hracing one... its supposed to make 10%... Yeah right..

ok the ctr crank pulley is a oem part. So it is a honda crank pulley. Iam balacing it with the whole bottom end rotating assembly. Do you think I will be fine using it still?

The ctr has been know to shatter oil pumps beacause there is NO rubber silicone to absorb the shock. Search overboost and type in serach Harmonic.

And again this is a HONDA crank pulley. Its off the Euro/Japan CTR (civic type R) iam surprised some of you didn't know what this part was. But ive talked to a handle full of Honda engine builders in my area that really know there shit. Iam just going to use a b16 crank pulley.

the clutch does need to be balacned with the rotating assembly. All they need is the Flywheel, crankshaft, flywheel bolts, crank pulley and the crank pulley bolt along with pistons and rods.

i think you should just get the fluidampr if your car is street. just to be safe.

Originally posted by Crix@Jan 13 2005, 07:28 PM
ok the ctr crank pulley is a oem part. So it is a honda crank pulley. Iam balacing it with the whole bottom end rotating assembly. Do you think I will be fine using it still?

The ctr has been know to shatter oil pumps beacause there is NO rubber silicone to absorb the shock. Search overboost and type in serach Harmonic.

And again this is a HONDA crank pulley. Its off the Euro/Japan CTR (civic type R) iam surprised some of you didn't know what this part was. But ive talked to a handle full of Honda engine builders in my area that really know there shit. Iam just going to use a b16 crank pulley.
[post=445309]Quoted post[/post]​

that pulley does not come stock on the CTR
the CTR actually comes standard with both power steering and air conditioning
yes that pulley is made by honda, for use on their factory race models only (like the ones that compete in the "N1" endurance series :idea: )
being that the longest races those cars compete in are about 24 hours, lifespan of the engine is really not all that important, like it is for a street car

Don't buy the hype. I have been hearing this forever. I was also told that the Unorthodox Pully kit would be the undoing of my engine. When they came out everyone was talking about that. I have had those pullies on my daily for about 100,000 miles with no problem. Just food for thought, I will say this though...using that pully with an aluminium flywheel transmitted such nasty harmonics that it caused pressure plate bolts to back out. They had been triple checked with a torque wrench, so there was no chance something was left loose. That happened in about 5000 miles.

Originally posted by nfn15037@Jan 10 2005, 11:31 PM
Whoever says that the CTR pulley shatters oil pumps is blaming it for some other problem.
[post=443964]Quoted post[/post]​

I will beg to differ on this one man. I have built many engines and never really had any problems running the CTR pulley except for high hp, high reving motors. My car shattered a prodrive oil pump gear. I had my old setup finished for a while. Car was making 600whp, 9800rev with a stock crank pulley. The only difference was I changed to a CTR pulley a couple months after. Driving style remained the same, etc. I was changing my setup some time down the road and was inspecting the oil pump gear and it was cracked in like 8 places. Since then I have changed to a fluidampr and stock ITR oil pump gear. Making more power now and no problems. But I will say, many high hp, high reving engines, I have seen have shattered oil pump gears with the ctr crank pulley.

Back