custom turbo or turbo kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CX LS

i was wanting to know if it would be better to take my car down to this guy who does custom turbo kits or should i just buy a kit? if i get the custom one he does everything (he lets you pick the turbo, bov, injectors, intercooler, full exhaust, computer system, fmu)and he dyno tunes it. for about $3000-$3500.

which one should i do?

ohh and get a custom set up....you can spend the hard cash on the important parts...not on shitty parts like an FMU

:werd:

Not only a custom kit...but you should peice it together yourself.

t3/t4
DSM 450s
Uberdata
Non SSAC manifold (a drag or revhard is plenty acceptable)
JRC Intercooler is also decent
Just about any aftermarket BOV will be fine as well
kteller 3" exhuast

Definitely go with hondata or uberdata and piece together a kit. Putting a turbo on is not a hard thing to do...So i would say just do the labor yourself and use the extra money for some internals or whatever. The only hassle is finding everything and ordering it but that still isn’t too bad.

But if you don't have time to put the turbo on and do all the work, then the deal with the guy doin all the work sounds pretty good.

well my friend went to him and and turboed his b18b for 3500 and he is pushing 250hp to the wheels and hes got secondary injectors instead of big ones. and hes got a piggyback system what ever that is.

thats a little expensive to only have a piggy back system....get a t3/t4 a nice log style manifold,38mm WG, big injectors 450+cc, custom DP, hondata/ free uberdata,a FMIC, dyno tune and call it a day......

I'll have ~220-250 hp and I spent A LOT less than that.

b18a1 LS trans (I hate this trans...I can even boost legally after 2nd gear)
t3 42/48 (until I upgrade)
DSM 450s
Uberdata
JRC Ic
custom IC piping...I made them myself
Log style manifold that I got from some guy HT

I had a nicer setup before my sister jacked all of it...so this was the cheaper alternative to replace it.

Originally posted by 92CX LS@May 5 2005, 02:09 PM
well my friend went to him and and turboed his b18b for 3500 and he is pushing 250hp to the wheels and hes got secondary injectors instead of big ones. and hes got a piggyback system what ever that is.
[post=495516]Quoted post[/post]​

does anyone else see the irony here?

a piggy back = hack job in todays EFI world.

for less than the price of the piggy back unit, you can rnu your own dyno tuned a/f maps AND ignition maps--- something no piggy back can do.

the only thing that i'm afraid about when piecing one together is that i'm goin to buy something i don't need. and i'm afraid i'm goin to put it together wrong or something because i'm new with turbos.

well, do research, figure out power goals and what kind of setup you want

then make a list, present it to us, and there are more than a few of us that will be able to go through, tell you what you do and don't need, etc etc

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@May 5 2005, 02:22 PM
:werd: :withstupid:
[post=495561]Quoted post[/post]​

Check my signature, and search my threads, i got some nice small turbo's available and also the small precision(garret) fmic, good for 350 hp.

i can do a 47 or 50 trim
with the 31x6x3.5 fmic

for 925 shipped!

ok i sold my old 86 supra and i got $2,500 to spend. should i get a turbo kit or should i build my internals? i'm new at this. im 16 i don't know that much but i'm learning.(i figured out how to but a b18b1 in my hatch with yalls help) so maybe yall can help me out with this.

go ahead and go the turbo route. building the internals now will not really yield you any power gains and you won't have enough $$$ to build and boost. you can safely boost a stock motor with a reasonable amount of boost (and the right turbo), along with (and most importantly) fuel management and tuning.

so go ahead and research and make a list of parts. we can then give you more advice on what to do from there. good luck.

damnit, you could have bought most of my shit. Oh well, I researched a lot before my first turbo project.

My last turbo project went downhill a little too fast.

i gots to ask yall another ? my friend wants to sell me his custom turbo kit that made 256whp on his ls integra on 8.5 psi. he wants 3000 for it. it comes with 3 inch custom exhaust, t28 garret turbo, custom tublar exhaust manifold, intercooler and intercooler piping, 440cc injectors, greddy bov, its the whole thing even his piggyback system but i don't think i want that i want hondata or uberdata instead. he bought it for 3800. should i buy it or go with piecing one together? o yeah it was all put on his car and dyno tuned buy this guy in atlanta named turbo dave.

thats a rip off, piece it together yourself

go to www.homemadeturbo.com and read read read, then read some more. In all honesty you should have a very good grasp on what you need and what route you are going to go before you attempt to start buying random parts. It will save you a ton of headaches

Back