Customizing GSR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Luke18

Hello,

I was looking for other forums for answer but was not lucky. Anyways, I have 97 GSR engine. I wanted to get a min of 200 HP at the wheels. I am planing on putting JE 9.5:1 pistions, Eagle rods, maybe an engle crank, vermon gears, AEM fuel rail and intake. Also I wanted to use Skunks2 cams but wasn't sure which ones would best work for what I was trying to obtain, the stage 1 or stage 2. Also I was going to purchase a clutchmaster FX300 or FX 400, which one is best? I want to get the car running 200 whp minimum without turbo. What else would I need to add to get the speed that I am looking for. Thanks for the help.

If you're building for boost, you're not going to get to 200whp off the turbo- especially not with 9.5:1 compression and only 1.8L of displacement. You might be lucky to get to 160whp without a turbo, but that would be the max. Don't try to mix an all motor build with a turbo setup. If you're going to spend the money for aftermarket internals to prepare for a turbocharger, do it right.

Now if you're planning on higher static compression with very low boost on a small turbo, you can do it- but the peak power output will be much lower, and it won't be too well suited for drag racing... I assume that's what you're building for.

If you're going NA, why are you dropping compression from 10.6 to 9.5?

I'd raise compression with 11.0:1 pistons, skunk2 stage2 cams, aem/injen/comptech ice box CAI, skunk2 intake manifold, JDM ITR header, and some sort of exhaust setup at 2 1/4". There's a lot more you can do, but those are the basics + a few.

Hi,

Actually what I really want to do is get the maxium hp out of the GSR engine and have it ready for turbo for later on. I was told that internals needed to be done to get the best efficiency out of the turbo. What exactly do I need to change to get max hp and best efficiency from turbo. Thanks again.

you wont be able to get 200hp on a low compression PRE-TURBO block.

you are building for Turbo... you prepare it for turbo and nothing else.
also cam and valvetrain choice also differs. You have to get the proper valvetrain for what you are using it for. different if you are going with a high lift cam vs high RPM turbo setup.

Wil

Back