Cutting Out the "C" Connector on 88-91' Civic (cabin wire harness to engine harness)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89' Project Civic

d16a6/d16y8 "mini-me"
I am planning on cutting my "C" plug so it will not show in my engine bay. I am planning to simply cut each wire and extend it by 4-5" each; solder, heatshrink, and electrical tape all connections. I just want to know; in the future would I regret this move or would I just simply put the engine bay harness on the windshield when doing an engine swap? I plan on rockin' the mini-me until I get rid of the car, which is not anytime soon! I plan on making a schematic just incase I need to re-solder the connector back in there. Any suggestions?

i think you will be fine. just remember to cut inches AWAY from the plug so you have something to work with incase you go back to stock, and so you dont cut up the wires all the way to the plug and fuck yourself over.

Thanks guys! 1 yes, and 1 no. As to TurboMirage, I love the idea of keeping the SOHC motor because the EF came with a SOHC so I figure that is how it is meant to be!:p

pardon my fench but fuck the SOHC, get a LS and be happy. More power more torque and more fun to drive.

be sure when you do the splice that you don't cut all the wires at the same length cause youll end up with a huge tape ball all in one spot cut the wires at different lengths!

Thank you, I have taken that into consideration. As well, I just realized that I have a second cabin harness, fully intact, so I will be matching the wire colors and it should not be much of a hassle after that. Thank god for extra parts off parts cars. I have already taken a connector going to the steering column; matched the wires, soldered, heatshrank, and electrical taped. This was because my other connector was crushed, probably from sitting on my car floor and me walking through it, and now it connects much easier.

pardon my fench but fuck the SOHC, get a LS and be happy. More power more torque and more fun to drive.
i disagree..i feel that my sohc pulls just as hard as my ls did...
parts are way cheaper..and just as available as the ls..
and you can go super sleeper with a sohc

Plus the reliability factor on the D16a6/D16y8 will be better than an LS, that is just what I have heard. There is no place for a lot of power in Ontario, Canada anyway. If we get busted going 50km/h over the speed limit, our cars get crushed and we get $10,000 fines and licences are gone. Our highway's speed limit is 100km/h. So if I am driving down the highway at 150km/h or more, the shit will hit the fan if the police catch me (and they do every single time).

I did this on my EF, its not different pulling the the motor, just lay the harness over the fender. It makes the bay look way cleaner. Just take your time and do one wire at a time.

I prefer to undo all the wiring from the engine once I pull it out. It's ten times easier that way.
But if you want to make it more difficult just so that it will look better, knock yourself out.

do you think that even if I did keep the connector, it would look alright. What I mean is do you see why my thinking is directed toward cutting and splicing all wires?

Last edited:
If anything, you should extend the wires to relocate the plug out of sight. It would look just as clean and you'd still have the convenience of being able to disconnect all the wiring once the engine was out of the chassis.

The main bulkhead connection that connects the engine harness to the chassis harness. He was going to hardwire it.

Back