Cutting springs?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tojam95

Obviously it would be better to go out and buy lowering springs.
But what about cutting the stock springs?

Bad idea. Makes for a bouncy ride, and you can get a badly unlevel ride if you cut more from one spring than another. Since I don't suggest it, I won't tell you how to do it.

Also, this can be downright dangerous, blow out your shocks, bottom out your car, and make it undrivable if done incorrectly, which ANY way you cut your springs is incorrectly in my book, because Honda's use progressive rate springs.

If they were a linear rate pring, I wouldn't have as much of a problem. Mustangs, for example, use a linear rate spring which means every coil on each spring has the same stiffness, so if you cut out one coil, you still have the same spring rate, but just a shorter spring. Honda's have a spring that is soft at some points in the spring, and harder in others, making cutting a spring correctly a technical task. Not for everyone.

almost NEVER cut springs if you can lower it another way.

changing spring rate = bad

one of my friends did a while back on his civic. the ride was horrible, handling sucked, and they always popped and made a ton of noise.

Back