CV Boot Leaking???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude9593

I changed my oil today and noticed some stuff that looked like grease on my transmission. It also looked like it had been thrown onto other parts of the car underneath and my friend said it looked like my cv boot was leaking axle grease. If this is the case, how serious is it and how much would it cost to replace? I'm putting in a new clutch in a couple months so I'll do it then if it's not a serious problem.

You should be able to pick up a new boot kit for under $20, and it only takes about half an hour per boot, not real hard, especially if you are taking the tranny out anyway.

you will have to take out the axles to get the tranny out...no doubt about that. i've rebuilt cv joints on the axles before....let me tell you it's worth the 60 bux per axle to just get new ones. messy as hell, those clamps just plain suck (i zip tied my last rebuild b/c the clamps were totally different than i've ever seen), and most of the time you have an outside boot torn. generally speaking the outside joint doesn't just come completely apart so that means you have to dissassemble the inside boot (regardless of it's wear), and slide the outside boot on, then reassemble BOTH boots (=sucks bigtime).

short and simple, get new axles...120 and call it a day

Yeah, I had the same problem with my car. Both my axles had torn boots. I could have repacked them, and got new boots, but that would require that I take out the axles anyways. I decided to spend the $60 some-odd bucks to replace them just incase.

Don't take chances with driveline stuff, that's all I gotta say.

do the new axles come ready to install, with the cv joints packed with grease and all that good ol' shit? the cheapest i've found them is $72-$75 but i guess that's about right.

you just need to return your core (old axles), doesn't really matter how shitty they are. they come assembled and the cv boot clamps will be tighter than you can ever think of making them.

Back