1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cv Boot Quesion

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by seriot, Jun 9, 2003.

1. seriot

seriot Junior Member

Whenever I turn left the right side of the car makes this weird sound. Like a ring or metal going around/around hard to explain but only happens when I turn and gets louder the harder I turn. My friend said I need a new CV boot cause itd ripped and thats causing the noise. But I don't see how that rubber looking thing can produce that weird sound. So looking for a 2nd opinion.

-seriot 95 civic ex 2dr-
  2. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

The left lane
    The rubber boot covers the CV joint, and there are two joints per front axle. When the boot rips, dirt and all kinds of other nasty stuff finds its way into the joint, and causes the joint to fail over time. The clicking/metallic sound you hear is the fouled-up joint telling you it's just about finished.

You can replace the boot and joint, but it's much easier (and usually cheaper) to just replace the whole axle.
Draft saved Draft deleted