cv joint and boot replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
i was just wondering how hard it is to replace the cv joints and boots in my 1990 Integra GS. can it be done with simple hand tools or what? i am not TOO mechanically inclined, but i can learn and figure it out pretty well. is it hard to do and what procedures need to be done in order to do the job?

**in a previous post on the board, i stated i needed new axles, but the axles are fine, just the CV joints and boots need to be replaced i believe. or should i just replace the whole axle??**

:helpsmilie:

In my experience, changing the boots is probably THE messiest fucking job there is. That axle grease is some nasty shit. IF it was me i would just change the whole axle, its not worth it for me to change the boot.

But if money is tight for you i guess you could try it out.

Tools needed are a jack, jack stands, 17mm socket and wrench, 32mm socket, pry bar or hammer to get the axle out.

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Oct 17 2004, 01:10 PM
i was just wondering how hard it is to replace the cv joints and boots in my 1990 Integra GS. can it be done with simple hand tools or what? i am not TOO mechanically inclined, but i can learn and figure it out pretty well. is it hard to do and what procedures need to be done in order to do the job?

**in a previous post on the board, i stated i needed new axles, but the axles are fine, just the CV joints and boots need to be replaced i believe. or should i just replace the whole axle??**

:helpsmilie:
[post=403690]Quoted post[/post]​

Just replace the whole axle(s).... it'll cost you about the same amount of cash, and it's easier.

Replace the entire axle. Its easier than you think...

Remove 32mm nut on end of azle
jack car up
remove wheels
remove castle nut on LBJ
remove bolt/nut throught he lower fork on strut
pop azxle out

Originally posted by brian11to1@Oct 17 2004, 06:39 PM

jack car up
remove wheels
remove castle nut on LBJ
pop azxle out
[post=403845]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid: that's exactly what I did about 3 weeks ago.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Oct 17 2004, 04:39 PM

jack car up
remove wheels
remove castle nut on LBJ
pop azxle out
[post=403845]Quoted post[/post]​

This is prolly the hardest part of the whole thing. Just make sure you get a hold of a nice heavy sledge, and give the LCA a couple good whacks until it comes loose. It is also easier with the brake rotors off. You also have to slam the new axle on the righthand side in pretty good to seat the expansion ring in the tranny. Oh yeah, make sure you drain the tranny first.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 18 2004, 12:10 AM
Or search "LordVader" and see my extensive writeup on how to change your axles...
[post=403958]Quoted post[/post]​

Calesta's advice was spot on. I had never done one before and it only took me about an hour to do. BTW, he is also correct on changing the entire assembly. After I got the core charge back, the entire job cost me $67 + or -.

:woo:

Thanks guys. I'm still glad you found it so helpful. The next time I change an axle, I'll take pictures and make a step by step guide showing how to do it.

Back