CV Joint boot replacement: Do it yourself or not?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 20 2004, 09:47 AM
Congrats on putting it all back to together! What's the condition of the other CV boot? I inspect mine during every oil change. And BTW, a torn CV boot is a legitimate safety issue. You don't want those moving parts inside of them to go bad. The grease falls out and dirt gets in. First they will making a clicking noise as you turn, and when they click as you go straight... that is really really bad. :ph34r:
[post=392443]Quoted post[/post]​

You're right about the saftey issue. I've seen the results of a CV joint coming apart and it's NOT pretty. Anyway, the outer boot was indeed cracked while the inner was fine (typical condition as I understand it)

Originally posted by LordVader@Sep 20 2004, 07:45 AM
***Another Update***

Well, after a long, soggy weekend @ Maple Grove Raceway, I finally got it finished yesterday afternoon. I ended up going to Sears and buying a tap and die set. I determined the correct size tap and die (12mm 1.5) and after some VERY carefull rethreading of both the stud and nut, it went back together. (whew!) Anyway, thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond! It's greatly appreciated!
[post=392438]Quoted post[/post]​

Very nice work! :thumbsup:

Yup, this is what happens when a CV joint decides to explode on you:

https://hondaswap.com/~mike/crx/wrong_axles/

not to shit on anyone's parade or anything, but if the axle was not making noise, then why not just get a replacement boot that saves you the trouble of removing the axle from the car...???

remove old boot, clean out old grease and possible dirt, then install new boot and repack with grease...

just my thoughts...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Sep 20 2004, 12:50 PM
not to shit on anyone's parade or anything, but if the axle was not making noise, then why not just get a replacement boot that saves you the trouble of removing the axle from the car...???

remove old boot, clean out old grease and possible dirt, then install new boot and repack with grease...

just my thoughts...
[post=392514]Quoted post[/post]​

I understand what your saying reckedracing and no, it was not making any noise. I have heard over the years that since they started re-manning the axle ass'y, it was just as cost effective to R&R it as it was to R&R the boot. After doing the job, I can see what they mean. My problem was due to some hack "mechanic" hosing the threads on ball joint stud. I have a total of $63 in it and if had not been for the threads, I would have had about 45 minutes in it. All around a fairly easy job as Calesta illuded to.

Originally posted by LordVader+Sep 20 2004, 01:21 PM-->
reckedracing
@Sep 20 2004, 12:50 PM

just my thoughts...
[post=392514]Quoted post[/post]​

I understand what your saying reckedracing and no, it was not making any noise. I have heard over the years that since they started re-manning the axle ass'y, it was just as cost effective to R&R it as it was to R&R the boot. After doing the job, I can see what they mean. My problem was due to some hack "mechanic" hosing the threads on ball joint stud. I have a total of $63 in it and if had not been for the threads, I would have had about 45 minutes in it. All around a fairly easy job as Calesta illuded to.
[post=392551]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup, definitely- it costs about the same amount of time and money to replace the boot as it does to replace the entire axle, and you get more new parts with the entire axle replacement. I barely even get dirty replacing an axle- I can't say the same for repacking axle grease into a CV joint and then trying to close it up and clean all the excess grease off... plus once you buy an axle from a place with a lifetime warranty like AutoZone, every axle replacement afterwards is free.

:)

Originally posted by reckedracing@Sep 20 2004, 03:07 PM
well, i'm just glad you were able to fix the threads before they caused your son an accident...
[post=392569]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks, man...

Back