cv joints clicking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

XZILER8

The cv joints on my 88 crx hf have started clicking during low speed sharp turns.

Any clue about how long until the give out on me? I didn't want to bother with them until I do my swap because I'd be switching axles anyways but I don't feel like getting stranded either.

Thanks

it all depends, how long till you do your swap?

i drove on mine when they started clicking for about a month and a half, but make sure you don't go very fast. they have no lubrication meaning they have a lot of friction heat. go to fast and you have an even greater chance of melting them.

They could go tomorrow, or next year, I drove on bad CV's for close to a year, but I STRONGLY recommend against it.

Take them out and go to a local place to get them rebuilt, I did with my GSr units when the boot cut open and I managed sell them my old units and get GSR units for 150 for both axles, freshly rebuilt.

Milan

unless they are clicking when you are going straight, you doing ok. although it is better to get your axle replaced as soon as possible.

the longer u ride on them, worse off running into bigger problems

a complete axle assembly should only run around 60-70 dollars. its about 2 hours worth of work if you do it yourself.

it is better to be safe than sorry, my first car was an 87 accord and my cv joint started going, i didnt have the money to replace it as i didnt do my own work then. it finally went, luckily i was turning down my road. but when it goes your car dosnt move, thats what transfers the power from your tranny to wheels.

well the mother of all cv joint stories has to go to my friend beaver. he bought a 1990 camery from his mom for 300 dollars. when he bought it the from her the driver side cv was already clicking and he was a pizza delivery guy, he drove on it for an etire year then he went on a road trip to north carolina from minnesota and back. he still drove it till about another six months till he bought his new car. this was three years ago and still the camery has a shot cv and still gets used as a beater.

my cv joint started to click 4 months ago and i drive 80 miles a day to work and back 4 to 5 days a week and my and god knows how many mile in between and its still going.

Back