Cylinder not firing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

neomodus

Ok get ready for a spill...

I have a 94 Civic Ex, D16Y7 Block, D16Z6 Head, new distributor.

Engine cranks fine, but the first cylinder does not fire. The throttle is inconsistent as in it pulsates so to speak. It will never settle as if it is struglling to stay alive. I have checked the compression which is fine. I checked the distributor with a screw driver and there is spark. The inside of the cylinder is sparkling from the gasoline cleansing it receives. I have checked the timing numerous times.

Any clues?

Should I adjust the valves, get new injectors, get a whole new intake manifold?

I really wish this would work its been a huge pain.

Spark plug gapped properly? plug the spark plug into the boot, and check for spark that way.. Be careful, it'll shock the piss out of you and could kill you if you aren't careful. Don't do it anywhere near the hole that the spark plug came out of, igniting the fuel in that cylinder could make for a very bad day. You could make it safer by unplugging the injector for that cylinder, just make sure it doesnt short against anything.

You said the timing is good, so we'll assume that isnt the problem. Check the inside of the distributor cap, make sure the contacts are clean and not bent or broken. Same with the rotor. If it sparks while plugged into the boot, life should be good on the spark side. Switch the injector with another cylinder and see if that cylinder dies.

Double and triple check your plug wires with the firing order between the distributor and the cylinders, too.

Well I haven't tried looking for a spark with the plug in, but I have bought new plugs swapped them out and all work but the one that has never worked. The distributor has been checked and has a new cap and rotor. Sorry shoulda mentioned that earlier.

must be the injector like phyre said or the valve adjusment like you said. Check the wiring at the injector, make sure the injector is plugged in and making good contact or swap it like phyre said. Then if that doesn't solve it run a compression test to see how the cylinder is compared to the others, just to make sure the valves are doing what they are supposed to do.

Back