Cylinder wall rust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Well, because of lack of time and my engine just sitting with nothing in it, the cylinder walls got a little bit of rust of them. I plan to put the new pistons in maybe this weekend. I have been reading around on this and have heard of everything from just putting the pistons back in and running the engine, to steel wool and oil. What do you guys recommend to get rid of a little surface rust?

a slight hone will solve any problems, as long as its only surface rust.

to prevent this you shoulda just spray liberally with wd40 or engine assembly grease ('white')

Give it a fresh hone and hose it with lube.

yep a nice hone whould get rid of the surface rust, Just give it a nice cleaning with soapy water and then lube the walls right after and your good to go.

Ah, steel wool would even be bad if you used it before the hone? Or are you just worried about shavings getting caught in the motor?

Quoted post[/post]]
Ah, steel wool would even be bad if you used it before the hone? Or are you just worried about shavings getting caught in the motor?

"shavings".. its amazing what a little piece of steel wool would do if cought in a main bearing. You couldn't possibly use it and expect to not drop a few threads down into the block..

it'a amazing what a "crumb" of rust can do to a bearing too.

completely flush out the block before re-building... use an air tool to blow it out or somethin

dip the block in doo doo butter, if you dont , its shot im sorry

but seriously, strip the block bare. hone it, clean it, then assemble.

if its been sitting for awhile, it may be pitted, if it is, youll need to bore it.

Back