1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cylinder wall wear?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by xchipx, Aug 24, 2008.

1. xchipx

xchipx n/a

This is probably a bit of a dumb question - but my motor has done approx 150k miles , and is going on 18 years old !
    I will be installing new pistons in the next month or two , and planning on doing an in car rebuild. however after this amount of miles surely the cyl walls are going to need to be honed right?
    However i cant really take the whole car to an engine shop to do this without paying large amounts for them to strip and rebuild it. Or can this be done yourself if the wear isnt too bad?
    Would it be easier to get a second engine block and to take that to the engine shop and then swap the blocks when im rebuilding? ( twice as much work surely? )
    I only have access to my own car.
    Mark

2. red91efhatch

red91efhatch New Member

It's not that bad to DIY, I saved a load of money doing it myself. though I've owned MANY hondas this was my first ground-up build, just keep everything together i.e. bolts, nuts, etc. Use a manual, and take your time, I think i've read that this will be your daily so read up FIRST on the tools you will need and already have. Then make sure you have all the necessary parts ready. and if you decide to reuse parts ex. oil pump, make sure it meets the tolerances in the manual, I would not suggest reusing parts but if you have to (we've all been there budget wise) then go for it.

3. xchipx

xchipx n/a

Hey cheers for the reply, appreciated.
    Did you hone the cylinders or anything?

4. George777

George777 ^^ Likes Bewbies

Build another block. Take your time and do it right, and then just swap it over. The only additional cost will be the initial purchase of the block. From there, anything else you were going to replace is going to go into it.

Take your time, do your research, and you should have fun.

Good luck.

5. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Just pull the motor and do it right.

Its easier than it looks.

6. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

7. xchipx

xchipx n/a

right fair enough , ill see if i can source another block and head so i can cart them around and get them worked on - before i buy the block though i guess theres no point buying any pistons eh ? incase the cylinders were a little worn and needed boring up....right?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted