Cylinder Walls Scratched

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tnsxsear

k guys, i have an ls/vtec. i took the block apart and found a 1/2 inch scratch in all four cylinders in the same place. i had it cleaned and honed, and it took out almost all imperfections, but the scratches are still their, nothing big, but you can still kinda feel the scratches, the guy that honed my block, told me since im doing a full rebuild, new rings,pistons,etc.. that those scratches are nothing to worry about. now i dont really have the cash to go over on the block and get bigger pistons and rings.. Should i just continue with putting it back together and hope that nothing is really wrong with it? i need some advice, everyone is telling me to just put it together and not really worry about it. -paul

A guy that I work with had the exact same problem with his walls. He talked to a guy that builds race engines, and the guy said that the scratches were nothing to worry about. They'll get blended in pretty much once you start your car up...if not soon after.

is it scoured? or is it a scratch? if its liek a rut, you may need to overbore a little bit to get below it. but if its just a scratch mark and has like no depth to it, once honed out, it should be ok. its hard to say over the internet....

Give me a call this weekend (if you don't have my cell hit me up on AIM for it).

Back