cylinder wont move

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sevenhillsbilly

i have been building my engine and got the pistons in today and now that i have torqued the caps to the actual settings it wont move WHY??

Pics? What bearings did you use? Did you lubricate them before you put them in? You might have the wrong size bearing somewhere if you used one size for all of them.

ok well used oem bearings i did lubricate them i did plastigauge them to the specs in the manual there is no rub on the crank at all and i used the same size bearings for all of them but the other 3 are perfectly fine.

i know its not the thrust washers for sure it spins fine once i loosen the end cap on the problematic piston so i think i might have to get new bearings or get them ground for that cylinder only

the clearance checked out but the rod and cap may be out of round only by like a thousandths of an inch so im goin to take it to my uncle he has a machine shop and have him look at it

Do you know you need to use a 17mm socket with a 1/2" drive to turn the nut on the crankshaft? And always turn it clockwise. It's not going to spin very "easily", but should spin with force. If your using excessive force to spin the crank (by hand), than something is binding or it wasn't assembled correctly.

It is always good to measure the cylinder bores for out-of-round conditions. A dial bore gauge is used for this type of measurement. The ridge of the cylinder(top) should be smooth with no lip. I hope you performed atleast a soft hone to the cylinders with some type of lubrication. I like to use ATF. Than clean the short block thoroughly. From here you can measure the bore and make sure you use the correct size pistons.

Well, what's the bearing clearance on that rod?

If the clearance is too tight, you'll need a larger size.

If the clearance is too tight he will need a thinner bearing, not a larger bearing Scotty-o. :)

EDIT: Unless you were referring to him maching the rod bore to use a thicker bearing? :confused:

LS I don't think you should argue.

Do me a favor, stop riding Scott's sack for a minute and read. We both said the SAME thing, but he worded it differently. It was simply misread due to ONE word in his sentence.

Back