D series Cam Upgrade

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
I just picked up an 89 Civic Si for a commuter car while my CRX is being rebuilt (again). It's funny going from a decently moded car to a completly stock car again. Anyhow, I was just trying to get some opinions from people running an aftermarket cam on a D16A or simalar Non-Vtec SOHC motor. I don't want to have to upgrade my valve train or anything. Like I said it's a commuter car(and will stay that way for a while). I just want to add a little more "pep" to the ride since I'm used to driving a ride with a full swap. Looking for any info on cams. possibly crower/skunk2. I'm not sure if either one of these co. makes a cam for the D-series(havn't looked.)

Matt :unsure:

Thought about it. Like I said, my CRX will be down for a couple of month while it gets a new powerplant/suspension/brakes/paint/body work. I want to keep it stock for now, until the other is done. I would consider it if I could get ahold of a top end for a resonable price. Anyone have a SOHC VTEC heads they want to part with? Still toying round ideas. I just need so more power. I'm used to driving damn near the same car with a swap. NNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWER FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST!!! J/K. What about cams though? Open for suggestions.

Run a mini-me setup, then drop an aftermarket cam into that. The breathing characteristics of a SOHC VTEC cam on the happy lobe is way beyond that of the normal non-VTEC setup. Look around on eBay or on The Parts Trader. You can usually find complete SOHC VTEC heads for under $200. You can be done with a mini-me setup for under $500 if you're careful, and it will give you some pretty nice kick with your Si transmission.

There are tons of manufacturers for SOHC VTEC cams now. Skunk2 was supposed to have one on the way, but I don't know if it's on the market yet. Crower and ZEX (Comp Cams) have excellent offerings, and so do a few smaller companies like Exospeed. Search around a bit. You'd be surprised at what you can find.

Back