d series head lifting question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have heard that once you start pushing 200+ hp on the d you run into head lifting problems. is there a definative answer to fix this problem? I have heard sleeving helps but that is very expensive. arp studs have been suggested but people have done that, and still the head lifts. maybe block posting?

block posting wouldn't help "head lift"...

that would be all in the head studs...

now if you're talking about the sleeves moving around, then block posting could help...

yeah I was meaning the whole problem of the engine overheating and using of coolant. I had heard that the structural integrity of the d series sleeves is less the the b, so when boost is applied they tend to move. I don't think a block guard is a good idea because it hinders cooling. anyone have this problem and solve it cheaply?

homemadeturbo.com has an article on cheap block posting...

d series sleeves are def not as good as b series cause they are for economy not performance...

check into beerbongskickass's setup
201 whp on a stock internal d16z6 with uberdata...

I know what problem you are talking about because I have been trying to fix it now for months. It does not seem like the head is lifting because I have arp studs and they have been torqued down a little bit more than stock specs. The theory that many people have is that the block sleeves may actually shift. I have a cometic HP head gasket on the car now which did not seal right due to a finish on the block that was not fine enough. I am having the head pulled off the block, having the block checked for straghtness and also making sure the finish is fine enough so that the head gasket will seal. I am going with a honda oem head gakset this time around since most people have had good luck with it. This time around I am also tuning the motor with uberdata to allow me to lower the timing during boost which has helped people like BeerBongsKickAss with this problem. I let you know how it goes.

yeah I read about beerbongs setup and I'm thinking of doing something similar. I read on h-t that he was having this problem as well. spydy43 to you think it is a timing issue? do I need to be a member to read the article on hmt now? If there isn't a definitive answer to the whole coolant problem then I may not do this project, so hopefully I can get an answer.

Right now it seems to be kinda hit and miss with the fixes, and there are also people that have no problems boosting there d-series motors. If you go to d-series.org you can find out what has worked for other people. I am following beerbongs advice because the symptoms his car had are exactly what mine currently have.

I was looking at beerbongs setup again and I noticed that his manifold was custom made. For someone who has never really welded do you think this is a viable option? All equal length seem to cost 400+ and the std manifold and other log manidolds probably flow like shit, so for my budget and goals I think I'm going to have to make one. :thumbsdown:

Back