D serize swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DSMconvert

For those who don't know I am very new to the Honda sceen and am looking to buy a car very soon. I will be lookinng for an 88 and up Civic HB or Coupe and for my first motor I am looking to keep it cheap but for it to have the potential for some fun. I was wondering what D serieze motors with vtec I should be looking at for the first swap and why that specific motor is the way to go.

The overall plan is to do the basic bolt ons, (Headder, test pipe, catback, CAI, and a little polish work), then add on a ZEX dry N2O system and mabye a more agressive cam.

Knowing that that is my overall plan what D serize motor should I go with to see the most bennift out of what I am going to do? Also, dose anyone have a 88 and up HB or a 92 and up coupe or HB for sale that is a manual? I am not looking to spend more than 1500 on the car so by no means dose it have to be perfect. I live close to Dayton Ohio and am willing to travel up to 1000 miles for the right car so if you have one for sale or your buddy dose let me know. Oh yeah, I would also be open to picking up an 86 and up Integra 5 speed 2 door. The older cars have to have the D16a6, (The DOHC D serieze from earily in the day), for me to consider it.

Let me know what you guys think and I will resarch out your ideas so I can start the process of switching my brain over from DSM to JDM where it should be. Hope to hear from some of you soon and also to get to know some of you soon.

Dylan

Hit up the reference section to read about the engines.

The D16A6 is SOHC, not DOHC.

If you want the best choice SOHC VTEC D series engine, you want to go with the D16Z6. The D16Y8 is almost identical, but you'll have an even more interesting time getting it wired up to work in your car. Both engines have similar power output, and both can still be wired to work in a non-OBD system, making the previous sentence meaningless.

Back