d14a1 with d16a1 cam - question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The run down: I am in Europe, driving an EDM 1987 civic GL hatch with a d14a1 dual carb. I am having a cam from my old d16a1 sent to me, however I am trying to find info on properly adjusting my cam gear and dizzy. Apparently there is a half-tooth difference, and I'm wondering if someone knows how many degrees to advance/retard the cam timing. keep in mind, europe runs on minimum 95 octane so I will be able to advance dizzy timing moreso than if running American petrol.

I realize this is kind of a noob question. However, I do understand somewhat that with a bigger cam you can adjust the cam timing for better exhaust/intake overlap. maybe someone can explain this concept to me a little more, and tell me which direction would be ideal?

Years ago I had someone help me tune a d16a1 with a larger cam. I was pretty certain that he had me adjust the cam timing by 2 degrees negative (adjusting cam gear clockwise 2 degrees??)

any info is much appreciated, and I'm going to try and attach some photos of the car.. cheers!

P1260786.jpg
P1260021.jpg
P1260018.jpg
P1260017.jpg

the first photo is most recent, with painted valve cover and some other detailing. the remainder of the photos were taken after first washdown. :D

Back