1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d14a1 with d16a1 cam - question

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by charleskwinter, Aug 26, 2009.

1. charleskwinter

charleskwinter ignore

The run down: I am in Europe, driving an EDM 1987 civic GL hatch with a d14a1 dual carb. I am having a cam from my old d16a1 sent to me, however I am trying to find info on properly adjusting my cam gear and dizzy. Apparently there is a half-tooth difference, and I'm wondering if someone knows how many degrees to advance/retard the cam timing. keep in mind, europe runs on minimum 95 octane so I will be able to advance dizzy timing moreso than if running American petrol.

I realize this is kind of a noob question. However, I do understand somewhat that with a bigger cam you can adjust the cam timing for better exhaust/intake overlap. maybe someone can explain this concept to me a little more, and tell me which direction would be ideal?

Years ago I had someone help me tune a d16a1 with a larger cam. I was pretty certain that he had me adjust the cam timing by 2 degrees negative (adjusting cam gear clockwise 2 degrees??)

any info is much appreciated, and I'm going to try and attach some photos of the car.. cheers!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    the first photo is most recent, with painted valve cover and some other detailing. the remainder of the photos were taken after first washdown. :D

2. charleskwinter

charleskwinter ignore

note: the noob should have written d16a6 sorry and thanks :D

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted