d15 building options

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Novtec

Sup guys..Well im in the process of building my motor on my DX..Its got DC header, aem cold air, catback exhaust, and a 50shot of nitrous...What i am wondering is..What Else can i bolt on thats going to help performance wize, its not a mINI me yet..but its going to be i dont know how soon, but it will be..So im curious...I dont wanna get a intake manny, cuz i dont have headwork..I just want to know if there is anything that is bolt on, flywheels, pulleys, cam gears, anything like that, that will help the perforamnce..any help appreciated..thanks!

you can either throw a d16a6 head on there or the z6 head, both u will need to swap dpi for mpfi, also cam gears and a good cam will give u some nice hp gains, but theres no use buying those unless u have a new head. also, when u buy the new head, take it to a shop and get a 3 angle valve grind, and pnp.

no offense but even with a turbo you'll never hit 12's, swap it for at least a b16, or a b18b

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 9 2003, 01:40 PM
no offense but even with a turbo you'll never hit 12's, swap it for at least a b16, or a b18b

Who said he wanted to hit 12s? By the way, you CAN hit 12s on a D block... if you want to spend the time and cash for it.

I have a d15 and was looking for rods for it and found out the crank pins on the d15 and d16 were not the same? I found crower rods on nopi for the d15 crank but they were 800$ and i'm trying to stay in the 400 or below range? also which are the best bearings and also crank shaft machine shop tips?

Have you tried Eagle, or 'Econo Billet' Crowers? I don't know if they are available for the d15 non vtec or not. You could always swap for a 1.6 and build it. I would say swap a d15b like I did, but I found out the hard way its the bastard step child of d series engines. Longer rods than 1.5's, and shorter pistons but the big end is diff than a 1.6 vtec so no joy there. Good luck on build. check d-series.org for opinion on interesting stock rods and pistons you could use for more strength and better r/s ratio if you haven't already read up on it.

Originally posted by farcyde92si@Nov 16 2003, 01:27 PM
Have you tried Eagle, or 'Econo Billet' Crowers? I don't know if they are available for the d15 non vtec or not. You could always swap for a 1.6 and build it. I would say swap a d15b like I did, but I found out the hard way its the bastard step child of d series engines. Longer rods than 1.5's, and shorter pistons but the big end is diff than a 1.6 vtec so no joy there. Good luck on build. check d-series.org for opinion on interesting stock rods and pistons you could use for more strength and better r/s ratio if you haven't already read up on it.

Well If it wasn't for the th fact that my coworker gave me the d15 out of a 93 del sol that got a b16 i would have looked for a d16, but what set up i'm trying to run is about 10.5: 1 or the highest compresion I can run off sunonco 94 octane for the every day power. I found pistons that I will get soon from nopi that are 020'' over so i should be bored out to at least 1.6 litres. well I'm not trying to break any records or runs 12's and also I'm on a community college budget. so i just want a solid engine set up, becasue I plan on joining the midwest SCCA. So I should ask does the more violent explosion from a lets say 11.5: compresion ratio have any bad effects on the stock rods? if I do reuse the stock rods what should I do to have the re-enforced?
Also for Saturday night I have a zex kit that I used on my mazda can these stock rods handle a 55 dry shot? I plan on getting the fuel set up to support it, i already have the walbro 190 feul pump waiting installation. Also on he head gaskets to help the compression does any one have any sugestions
Ok and while i'm thinking about it would a 1.6 crank drop in on the d15 block? and would the JDM zc pistons that I see on EBAY from time to time fit in my d15?

in my opinion, it would save you alot of time typing searching and finding random sites that sell parts for a d15 if you just bought a ZC. i run a 70 shot wet on mine and its still going strong. i picked up my entire engine, tranny, clutch, ecu, for about 750. its not hard to install and it would save you the headache and waste of cash for trying to build a sohc 1.5. plus i have raced a del sol wtih fully built internals and i didnt even have to hit the button to toast him. moral of the story. . . go buy a new motor and dont sweat trying to beef up a snail. but hey thats just my opinion.

Originally posted by Calesta+Oct 9 2003, 03:54 PM-->
92civicb18b1
@Oct 9 2003, 01:40 PM

Who said he wanted to hit 12s? By the way, you CAN hit 12s on a D block... if you want to spend the time and cash for it.

werd! bisi was running 10's with that 1.5litre non-vtec D15. ALL-MOTOR even!!

NOVTEC, i also have an 89 dx w/dc header, K&N intake, AEM cam gear, 2.25" exhaust and a dynomax muffler. as far as bolt-ons, get an adjustable cam gear and set it at 2 degrees advance. i did and i felt a difference. seems to have a bit more torque. i found myself shifting up way before i usually did.

unfortunately no one makes a cam for the D15. crane makes cams for non-vtec D16's but im not sure they will work on a D15...although i was told the heads are exactly the same.

another thing you might consider is geting an MSD 6AL ignition module. everyone says they wont do a thing but ive read a user review from this guy who had them in his civic, bmw and some gm vehicle he has. he said the dfifference wasnt as great in his civic but he felt a little more power and it helped his gas mileage. they are only like $140.

find a 86-89 Integra engine, get the crank rods, and pistons have the crank balanced install into your car! Mike Anca's is doing this with a 86 DX Civic, and is running 14.9... he alos has ITB's, DC Sports Header :angry: . Cool!

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@Nov 17 2003, 10:12 AM
find a 86-89 Integra engine, get the crank rods, and pistons have the crank balanced install into your car! Mike Anca's is doing this with a 86 DX Civic, and is running 14.9... he alos has ITB's, DC Sports Header :angry: . Cool!

Ok so th 1.6 crank will bolt in my d15 block with no problems? good becuase I can afford 300$ for rods istead 800 for the crower d15 rods. if this is true then every thing should be allright for turbo instead of high compresion?

you can pick up a ZC engine with no tranny for around 400 dollars rather than spend the cash on the pistons and custom regrinds i think that would be your best option

Originally posted by Juiced D16Z8@Nov 17 2003, 07:52 PM
you can pick up a ZC engine with no tranny for around 400 dollars rather than spend the cash on the pistons and custom regrinds i think that would be your best option

That is still minus forged pistons ands rods. then you have to tack on an extra 300$ for shipping. I think I might just use some stock rods and go with the forged pistons less the turbo,with the right fuel and igntion timing I should be safe with a 50 shot from time to time.
Has any one figures out are the d15 cams the same as the d16?

Anyone know who Mike Anca is? He wrote a book called Honda/ACura Performance (or somethign along those lines). Well he has a 86 CIvic running the aforementioned setup... I trust him... he also stated putting a F22 crank adn pistons in a H22 renderes a 2.3L engine!

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@Nov 18 2003, 02:58 PM
Anyone know who Mike Anca is? He wrote a book called Honda/ACura Performance (or somethign along those lines). Well he has a 86 CIvic running the aforementioned setup... I trust him... he also stated putting a F22 crank adn pistons in a H22 renderes a 2.3L engine!

OK, so if I get the d16 crank I should get the d16 rods and pistons?

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@Nov 17 2003, 10:12 AM

that sounds good but why from an 86-89 teg (d16a1, d16a2)? are those parts better than the 88-91 d16a6's?

Back