D15 cam sprocket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

okiewelder

Ok, here is my story. I bought a 95 civic with a blown head gasket. I am trying to line up the timing marks and they dont line up. Is it possible to install the cam sprocket other than the correct location??
Thanks, Steven:confused::confused:

cam sprocket

Thanks for the reply, the car is a 95 civic with a D15B7 non vtech sohc.
I have changed a few honda timing belts. When the mark on the crank pully is lined up with the pointer the two marks usually line up with the sides of the head with the "up" facing up. On this one the timing marks on the cam are about 90 degrees off of what it sould be. I just didnt think you could install the cam sprocket except in the correct position?????

Thanks again for the reply. This car has water in the oil so that makes me think that the head is either cracker or head gasket is blown. It did run but not good is there anyway it could of ran being that far out of time???

The "PM3' cam gears have timing marks for the Z6 and "others". For your's, it should be aligned with the two side marks leveled with the block(hard to explain, but check out the Helms manual).

May be doing it wrong just make sure 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock position marks are going straight across and theres a mark on the 7 o'clock position sometimes that you need to line up with the rear timing cover orientation line. Make sure the Up mark is up and not down double check it all and you should get it all figured out.

Could be that you have a SI d16a6 camshaft in that engine. This would throw the cam timing off 4 degrees. If so youll never get the timing perfect, you can either advance the cam or retard it. If you get a D16y7 cam gear it will line everything back up perfect. If you have a Si cam that is. You might, its a common D series swap.

He's not having problems with it running; he's having issues with the actual cam gear itself.

Thanks for all of the replys. It does have the PM3B cam gear so I guess some moron just installed the belt on incorrectly.
It did run bad but, the the head gasket was blown so that what I figured the reason was. I pulled the head off last night and Im trying to find my straight edge so I can see if its warped or not. Thanks again for all of the replys. Steven

Back