1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D15 OBD2? The list here says there are none

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by ChuckZilla, Feb 9, 2011.

1. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla New Member

In searching for an engine to replace my Y7, it seems that there are really only D15's left. But the list here in the reference area doesn't show an OBD2 D15 engine. I don't get it. I want to stay OBD2 for ease of swap. Are there OBD2 D15's? My supplier has them in stock 10 miles from my house and I want to start my swap this weekend.
    Thanks for any replies.

2. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

If ur supplier has them in stock im not sure why ur asking this

3. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla New Member

Because I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm buying. When a seller says he has OBD2 D15's and I see no OBD2 D15's in the engine list here I start asking questions. Wouldn't you?

4. D16SiHatch

D16SiHatch New Member

i believe the only usdm d15 that's obd2 that you'll find in the states is the 3 stage vtec d15b. it would be a hassle to wire up and all for a slow ass super economy motor. If you can't find a y7 then convert to obd1 and find yourself a nice d15b7. should be able to get a p28 and ecu jumper for about $100 if youre a savvy interwebz user

5. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

The 3-stage D15B VTEC is not USDM. IIRC, it was only available in Asia.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. D16SiHatch

D16SiHatch New Member

stupid wikipedia, i should have checked further into it lol. good lookin out

7. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla New Member

It's really seeming smarter to just rebuild my Y7 rather than try to make a D15 work in my car since it's just a commuter for me and not a car I'm trying to race with. Thoughts?

8. 90_EF_Hatch

90_EF_Hatch Señor Member

just buy a new y7 instead of rebuilding it?

thats seems easiest to me.

9. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

What exactly are you looking to do? Just a simple engine replacement, better economy, etc(in other words, why do you want to swap the Y7 out)?

10. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla New Member

The car has 260K on the clock and burns a quart of oil every 150 miles. Other than that, it runs perfect. It's my commuter car and gotta stay smog compliant for Cal. I was hoping to do a swap to a Y8, and even snagged an ECU for a Y8, but Y8's are rare now or high mileage. I'm doing searches here and at Dseries.org and shopping engines like crazy. I wish my car was OBD1 as those engines are plentiful. It's been fun trying to compress a couple years of engine swapping knowledge in to a week. lol

11. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla New Member

I guess my big problem here is, the engine market is loaded with OBD2 D15B's for 96-00 Civic's, these are VTEC engines. The closest motor in the engine list would be the 1991-1999 Civic VTi (EG4). Is this what the sellers on ebay and the engine shops are selling? Is this a good swap engine for my car? Just get the ECU for that car and wire VTEC?

12. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

The VTi engine should be closer to the D16Z6; which is more common than the 3-stage VTEC engine.

The 3-stage VTEC D15B is a good engine(gets good gas mileage and yet still has some power), but I'm not sure if the ECU would throw a check engine light(hopefully someone can chime in).

Does your motor have a knock sensor? If not, it may be possible to swap in an older non-VTEC motor and get away with using the Y7 ECU for inspection. The main thing I would be concerned is, if you can't tell, is inspection(especially strict states like California).

13. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla New Member

I don't know if my car has a knock sensor. It's a 97 LX. I looked in the ECU list and couldn't find one for the VTi. So I have no idea which ECU would work best.

14. tabKola

tabKola New Member

Y7's do not have knock sensors.

15. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla New Member

Thankyou. I imagine knock sensor are in the head?

16. D16SiHatch

D16SiHatch New Member

^they're in the back of the block just below the intake manifold.

17. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla New Member

Talked to my local dealer and ended up bringing home a D16A, non VTEC. Looks exactly like my Y7. Fun weekend ahead.:D

18. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

lol good luck passing smog in Cali with a D16A. From what I've heard about Cali is that you can put a newer motor into an older car but not vice versa.

19. ChuckZilla

ChuckZilla New Member

I searched the intake manifold part number P2F and the gasket for it relates to 96'-00' Civics and Del Sols. I'm pretty sure it's a JDM Y7, which means it's almost gotta be OBD2. So far the only difference I can see is the exhaust manifold has no cat hanging from it and only one O2 sensor on it, which doesn't matter because I have to swap my two sensor exh manifold over for it all to bolt up.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted