D15 Thanks and Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RoughKnight

Christmas Car
First off, I joined the forums a little while back as I was getting into the "swap"
world of cars. I had a 240sx I wanted to do a sr20 swap, but school forced me to sell my beloved. Since I had my eg8, I wanted a little more kick out of it.

I did a bit of research and found my options at either the d15b or d16 from the si. I called hmotors to get a quote, but some guy locally sold me the Jdm d15 for only 400. I was estatic.

If it wasn't for this forum and contributing articles, I would have never completed it. Now, the problem...

I had a 1wire o2 sensor, replaced it with my old motor's 4wire, and I manually hooked up the vtec solinoid and pressure switch from the harness to the ecu. So we turn it on, and after exactally 8ish seconds, the cel throws. Everytime I turn it on, 8 sec later the cel throws. Here is from what I deduce are the symptoms:

if I don't give it gas upon startup, the engine will die.
If I give it minimal gas, I have to hold it at idle rpm range(we adjusted the throttle cable slightly to compensate for this)
it had no power for about the first 3 minutes
after 3ish minutes, the ride gets smooth, no more engine problems, but vtec still won't engage (I think)

I'm usuing the p28 ecu, I think the problem is that it's running ?rich? Cause the p28 was made fir a 1.6, and I'm driving a 1.5?
Also, there is a sensor ontop of my throttle body that has no plug from my harness, but also on my harness there is one plug that seems to have been cut by the previous owner.

I can take video of the ignition sequence and mild drive if it would help, but I've stated pretty much verything here.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really thankful for this site and hope any pros can help me out with this. Thanks!!

hey i just did a swap for d15 non vtec (p05) to an d16z6 vtec(p28) on my 93 hatch, im not a professional but im having some problems with the codes cuz of the vtec and TPS and when i was playing with my TPS, my car start doing the same as urs so i got another TPS and Map sensor the one u r talking about, and probably the other conection is for the TPS so try to get the conection too if u go to the junk yard get the TPS, the map sensor u can get it new but no the TPS. (TPS the one is on the back off the throle body close to a litle black cylender)

It's not throwing a cel code, or I don't know how to check it, it's just "on."

TPS stands for what exactally? And the plug
on top of the throttle body, the little black cylinder thing, is the place I have NO plug for from the harness, it looks like the last guy who had my harness cut it off as there are two wires leading to nothing coming from the harness.
I can just go to a junkyard and cut it off an SI harness, wire it up to the sensor and that's it? I don't have to do any excess ecu wiring like the vtec solinoid and pressure switch?

By the way, thanks so far! like I said before, without helpful people like you, this would be a lost cause. :)

Well, I got the map sensor, figured out I'm driving
without one LOL, but before that, I dunno where to wire it
to the harness? Can I just direct wire it to the ecu like the vtec?

Before all that... The mechanic didn't screw my exhaust back properly... Before I could get home to
fix it, it fell off :( and I think I blew a cylinder but there is no oil in the sleves when I lift the spark plug wire. Is that a
reasonable check for this kind of neurotic problem? I can't even hear the motor with this annoying river
5 inch tip sounding car...
Ya this is getting fun :s

So it looks like my tps sensor is not wired up, and I don't see any place for it on the harness. Either I mixed up some wires, or there was never any place, as the old car never had that sensor as far as I know.

Next question, to clarify the tps sensor I'm talking about is attached to the TOP of the throttle body, it's black for me and has a 3 prong plug. This is the sensor I think is the tps sensor. So...
The sensor has 3 wires, one white, one green and one red. White goes to the ecu, green is ground, and red goes where?

Help is apprecitrd, thx

So, update:

I found the map sensor wires tucked into the same wire harness as the TPS. What a enigma lol. So I got my map sensor off a civic si from the junk yard and wired them up, no change. Do I have to manually run the wires to the ecu because my old car didn't have a map sensor?

I've been reading up and some other similar problems like this are caused by faulty main relay or a bad dizzy. Any help please?

I'd help you, but I don't know enough about motor swaps to help you. Maybe if I post in here someone smarter than me will help you.

So next update: my mechanic friend talked about "retarding" the dizzy, and something about a closed loop and open loop for my o2 sensors, which might explAin my wired idle.

Gonna try the dizzy tomorrow, and thoughts?

So it's throwing codes
5, 7, 14, and 41. This is on my p28 ecu. Gonna search, cause I think atm 5 and 7 are misfires, which could b due to the dizzy and the retarded timing (no pun lol)

Okay so I don't know what absoulteanifold
pressure pertains to(code5), but I'm pretty sure I hooked up the tps correctly, as for the iacv, I have a spare 2prong plug near the tps that has no slot,thought it was nothing until now I guess. Heated oxygen sensor? Anybody care to elaborate?

Since nobody cares, I'm gonna keep posting on my progress for my own benefit :(

so looking at the engine bay passenger side harness, I realize that the wires for the tps and map sensor are NOT connected on the ecu side. So I'm guessing I have to bypass the 6 wires? (3 for tps and map)

still stumped, having no computer makes it 10x harder. This has all been posted off
my iPhone lol. Anyways, rats update. Feel free to add

I think your thread name throws people off... that's my hypothesis as to why no one has responded.

So I tried to replace the map sensor with the one on my firewall, no change. Wierd? The more I research the more I think I should have a iacv or something along those lines but ICant find it. Double wired. Another day awaits lol...

I just had a brainwave... I'm gonna toss in the old p06 and see if it throws and codes. Maybe the p28 is messed?

After you change things, pull the neg cable on your battery to clear the codes. That way you don't keep adding on problems that aren't really there.
I don't see how it's running without the TPS.. It tells the ecu just how much fuel to send to the injectors. right?

I think you should look into getting a FACTORY manual and it's wiring diagram, sit down and try and figure it all out wire by wire.
Sorry for not helping that much but I hate wiring also.

E

Back