d15 vs d16 vs d17 stroker

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1991rex

hi trying to decide on a foundation for the build in my 95 delsol... can't decide on either a d15 y8 mini me, d16z6 block y8 head, or a d16z6 block y8 head w/ d17 stroker... i know the d15 has the best rod stroke ratio of the bunch but does the added displacement of the others more than make up for this advantage that the d15 has? plan to stay n/a if at possible...not planning on building a drag car or anything just want something with more balls than the d15 in my delsol right now...thanks for any advice/ thoughts u may have

Well the d16a6 block is the strongest d-series block. And the y8 head will bolt right on to the a6 and it flows really well.

But hell if you want a little more balls just throw the whole z6 in there. It will give you substantial gains over your d15.

But just build it to your likeing.

not interested in swapping a b... in my opinion if i wanted to something like that i'd just sell my sol and buy something that has a bigger engine from the factory ( for the price wanted for most swaps)

Well the d16a6 block is the strongest d-series block. And the y8 head will bolt right on to the a6 and it flows really well.

But hell if you want a little more balls just throw the whole z6 in there. It will give you substantial gains over your d15.

But just build it to your likeing.
thinking of just getting the z6 block and putting the y8 head i have on it and building that... am considering doing the d17 stroker in the same block but wondering if the cost/ gains are worth it? worse rod/ stroke ratio, not common mod and may have to get custom rods/ pistons for it to perform at its potential

thinking of just getting the z6 block and putting the y8 head i have on it and building that... am considering doing the d17 stroker in the same block but wondering if the cost/ gains are worth it?
The z6 and y8 partnership should work out real well. I'd go with the z6 y8 swap if you already have the head.

Im not sure if the d17 stroker kit cost/gains are worth it.

thats what i'm thinking i had the y8 mini me in my 91 crx (never got around to hooking the vtec) other than that just had a obx intake manifold which i since replaced with an edelbrock and ihe ...and while not no rocket wasn't disappointed either ...hoping with at least a .1 bump in displacement and few other well chosen mods in the delsol should easily have better performance (being a obd1 as well should hope..while i had a chipped ecu in the crx never had it tuned either so i am hoping there is more power on the board to be uncovered)

if your gona stay na why not but a b in there
not interested in swapping to a b ... would rather sell the sol and buy something that had it from the factory to begin with... was thinking of getting a prelude when i was looking at this car but have a alot of parts for dseries didn't make sense to me to getting it

Any motor can be fast.........................its just a matter of time money and knowledge.

Good luck.

When you get into the higher rpms, the Y8 head starts choking before the Z6 head. I'd go D16Z6 with D17 crank, rods, oil pump, and P08 pistons. :)

It has zero advantage over a stock Z6 if you plan on doing any modifications to it,,, thats the key phrase,,lol you got me on the typo lol

Last edited:
<-runs a D15B. I barely notice the different when driving my cousin's D16Z6. Only reason I'm running a D15 is because I got an awesome deal on it.

Back