D15A2 12 valve holes in head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

itjstagame

I want to try Somender's Grooves out on my DX head, for fun and because the head is already off and well why not because if I grenade the drivetrain it's an excuse to look for a D16A1 and transmission.

Anyway what's involved is adding grooves like this http://themoportal.com/articles/singh/thumbnails/quench-groove_sm.jpg in the squish area to try and get the flame front to move more easily there and make the compression a bit more efficient. You can read more here if you like: Somender SINGH: Squish Zone Grooves: 20%+ improved performance of IC Engines -- 3 articles & US Patent

Anyway as you can see in the attached pictures, there isn't too much squish area on our heads but I think I can put one right in the center of the squish area and aim it toward the spark plug, similar to this other one with a small amount of squish area: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4571/grooovesys6.jpg

There is this tiny hole right where I would like to make my cut and as you see in the other attachment there's these 'dead valves' that do get moved by the cam shaft and I was wondering if this hole goes all the way through and if it will cause me problems. Will I be ok if I groove near this hole. Should I fill it with JB Weld or block it off somehow? Does the 'valve' actually actuate and move up and down this hole?

Anyone know, I'm looking for thoughts. Otherwise I can just do two small cuts but just curoius if anyone can tell me about these holes and 'dead' valves.

Attachments

• CIMG9218.JPG
    CIMG9218.JPG
    711.7 KB · Views: 2,947
  • CIMG9224.JPG
    CIMG9224.JPG
    430.2 KB · Views: 928
There is this tiny hole right where I would like to make my cut and as you see in the other attachment there's these 'dead valves' that do get moved by the cam shaft and I was wondering if this hole goes all the way through and if it will cause me problems. Will I be ok if I groove near this hole. Should I fill it with JB Weld or block it off somehow? Does the 'valve' actually actuate and move up and down this hole?

Anyone know, I'm looking for thoughts. Otherwise I can just do two small cuts but just curoius if anyone can tell me about these holes and 'dead' valves.

Google CVCC .....youll find everything you need to know.

Wow, that's crazy. I couldn't find too many sources but I get the main idea of stratified charge. I went out and put a spark plug in and was suprised I couldn't see it, so I guess that protrudes into a cavity and I think that large 'spark plug' looking hole in the head and that small hole are connected and the 'dead valve' actuates and injects a richer mixture and ingites out of these holes. So maybe my grooving isn't needed if there's already a hole here in the squish area.

Does anyone know a bit more about CVCC, like how exactly does it inject into a fully pressurized cylinder and where does it pull the charge from, I don't see any intake runner along that 'dead valve'.

Back