D15b 18 MPG-- What could do this?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

puttockc

*********EDIT**********************
I have a Honda del sol with a d15b that got put in last November,
I have been learning more and more about honda's ever since.

My problem is I get 350 kilometers per tank even when I gently.
this is killing me considering my last car was a Diesel Jetta.

what could I do to improve the MPG(L/100km) of my car?

Stats
97 Del sol
220,000 odometer
D15b from japan
supposedly 60,000 on it
its the d15b with the vtec which only kicks in at 5600, not the 3 stage
D16y8 Intake and throttle body on it
just ask if there is any other info needed
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Well go more into detail, you should be getting way more than that, shit my truck probably gets better mpg then that.

spark plugs and wires, air filter, fuel filter, clear exhaust line, right ecu?

Last edited:
Do you have any check engine lights on? Was the motor given a tune-up before it was installed? Have you given it a tune-up recently?

:huh: that is really shitty gas mileage for a Honda, I'm sure there are turbo B's pushing 300 hp that get better gas mileage than that.

it was

it was tuned by a honda tech when put in I WAS TOLD
no check engine light
what sort of thing could kill economy like that?
what sort of economy should I be getting?
how many kilometers out of a tank?

It should be getting at the very least 27-35 mpg. Unless of course you beat the shit out of it :dunno:

My first guess would be to check the ECU.

Pull up the carpet on the passenger side all the way back, you'll see the ecu to the right on the floor.

Undo the bolts so you can pull the ecu out, and look for the white sticker.

The sticker should have digits in this arrangement: XXXX-XXX-XXXX or something similar to that. Make sure your ecu says p08 in the middle 3 so it should look like this XXXX-p08-XXXX.

Or it could say p28 in the middle, in that case find out if it was really tuned.

I think it means that whoever sold it to you didn't tune it right.

It's not something that you can do yourself I believe...I'm not really sure what needs to be done, I'm not the most knowledgeable member here, but I can answer some simple questions.

oh I almost forgot
it has the d16y8 intake and throttle body and all
I think I really got screwed on this swap

well thanks for answering my questions as much as you can

I swapped my old D15B7 for a D15B Vtec in my 93 Civic and I had to keep the old intake manifold and throttle body or one of them at least. But I also bought the JDM p08 ecu the original meant for that engine swap and it runs great not to mention gas mileage is AWESOME.

You could run a stock p28 and you should be able to get a lot better results. Then you can get it chipped to run the p08 fuel maps.

Or you could just get the ecu that was meant for that engine in the first place the p08.

Whatever you do, make sure it's the ecu meant for your tranny also. So be sure to specify that you need it for either a manual transmission or an automatic transmission. That is if you DO need a new ecu anyway.

holy crap i have a D16Y5 non-vtec i can beat the crap out of it and still get 29-30

my best guess just take it to an auto shop and have to hook it up to thier computers they should be able to find something if your only hitting 18 that or someone is stealing your gas at night.

holy crap i have a D16Y5 non-vtec i can beat the crap out of it and still get 29-30

You need to take that thing somewhere that knows their way around imports and get the VTEC working on that. You'd get substantially better mileage than you already are on a Y5 with it's VTEC functioning correctly...

How do your sparkplugs look? Does the exhaust smell like benzin? How old are the sparkplugs and wires? How old in the air filter? If you look into the muffler with a flashlight, does it look like it's been coated with black paint? Check all of this and report back.

Sounds to me like the tune. Well, actually it sound like you don't have a tune, heh. I was getting 22mpg before I tuned the engine. Now, I make 133WHP and I get over 30mpg, while driving like a jackass (100mph+ on the Autobahn).

Open up the ECU, and see if there's a chip in the place where a chipped ECU's chip would go, you'll want to google this. If not, you need to tune it. Pronto.

You need to take that thing somewhere that knows their way around imports and get the VTEC working on that. You'd get substantially better mileage than you already are on a Y5 with it's VTEC functioning correctly...

if I drive normal street speed i get about 38 avg, can i still get better? all hwy i can get the better side or 40-41 on avg.

sorry to steal the tread..

if I drive normal street speed i get about 38 avg, can i still get better? all hwy i can get the better side or 40-41 on avg.

sorry to steal the tread..

Nope, that sounds about right actually. The HX (with it's VTEC working) usually gets around 37-38 city, and 43-44 highway. Are you sure the VTEC isn't hooked up? It sounds like it's working right to me...

Back