D15B JDM 1.5L VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am curious if the JDM D15B will fit into a 1989 DX 4door. If it will what will I need for an ECU, and tranny? I have found a good deal on one and need some more info on it. Thanks.

i have an ecu for a 94 d15b obd1 and also a tranny for the d15. i will sell the tranny for 200$ the ecu will be harder to use b/c you need an obd0 ecu.

Anyone else have any input? I need to know if my D15b2 5-speed tranny will fit this engine. I need to know what ECU to use, and if this engine will fit without a mount kit. Thanks in advance.

you can use your stock mounts, axles, and tranny. im not sure if a dx has multi point injection if not, but if you dont, you'll need to convert. while your at it i would suggest converting to obd1.

Originally posted by Civic_Tacoma@Oct 4 2003, 03:43 PM
I am curious if the JDM D15B will fit into a 1989 DX 4door. If it will what will I need for an ECU, and tranny? I have found a good deal on one and need some more info on it. Thanks.

The motor will fit perfectly. It will bolt right up to your DX tranny, and with the extra 28 horsepower, the taller gearing in the DX trans will be less noticeable. The driver's side engine mount will need to be swapped with the one off of your DX, and it will be a little cocked in the mount cup, but it will work fine. The easiest solution for engine management would be to convert your DX engine harness for four injectors, and get a '90 or '91 PM6 ecu from a CRX or Civic Si, and have it rechipped. You will also need a VTEC controller, and an MSD RPM activated switch will work. If you are good with wiring you might want to find a PW0 or PR3 JDM ecu. This will operate the VTEC and run this engine well. You would need to get a knock sensor from an Integra, and modify the wiring to read from one O2 sensor. That might sound like alot, but I have found it to be the best way to run a VTEC engine in an OBD-0 car without an OBD-1 conversion.

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. My poor DX has sit in the driveway for almost a year with a blown engine, I'll be glad to have it running again.

One thing that might be tricky is the fact that the motor has two vtec solenoids, so you probably will need to just use a rpm activated switch to kick on the first one. If they made the motor before 96, you could find a jdm ecu for the motor and convert to obd1.

Originally posted by toyz51@Oct 6 2003, 09:44 AM
One thing that might be tricky is the fact that the motor has two vtec solenoids, so you probably will need to just use a rpm activated switch to kick on the first one. If they made the motor before 96, you could find a jdm ecu for the motor and convert to obd1.

The 130 HP D15b does not have two VTEC solenoids. That motor is simply a D15b block with the D16Z6 head on it. Honda's designation is P08. There is however a JDM 1.5l SOHC VTEC-E engine with two VTEC solenoids, and I don't recommend that one for performance.

Back