D15B(JDM) Vs D16z6!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well I found a motor local. That was rebuilt 15,000 miles ago its in a 89 civic si hatchback. Its a d16z6. I could get it for like 450 but he told me he would go down a little if I was serious also said it had high compression pistons..

Its still installed in his car so I can hear it run. Although his car is smashed so we cant drive it. He told me I can compression check it if I want.

also said he would throw in the transmission do claimed it was a 6 speed?

think its worth it?

Last edited:
Only "6-spd" D-series transmission was the AWD one, which is really just 2 overdrive gears.

I would poke around a little more. Even if it was rebuilt, you don't want to buy an engine that has been beat for 15,000mi. Ask about the tune, what the pistons specifically are, etc.

Only "6-spd" D-series transmission was the AWD one, which is really just 2 overdrive gears.

I would poke around a little more. Even if it was rebuilt, you don't want to buy an engine that has been beat for 15,000mi. Ask about the tune, what the pistons specifically are, etc.

yea I was thinking the same thing. I am still gonna check it out though and get a little more details. Another thing I forgot to mention that it has had a little bit of head work according to the guy.

I still need to get the details and I will when I talk to him in person.

Last edited:
I am still talking with the guy via email. He seems pretty honest but I know how people are on craigslist. I am gonna check it out eitherway.

What things should I be looking for??.. I can't drive it i'll only be able to check it out while its idling.
By the way I got the price down to about 300 dollars and there might still be some room to get it even lower.

Also one last question... isnt a 89 hatch si obd0? And my car is a obd1 right? So if all goes well and I do pick up the d16z6 will I have problems with this? I assuming not because I belive he swaped the d16z6 into the 89.

Last edited:
He's probably using a modified OBD0 engine harness. All you would have to do is swap a OBD1 harness on there.

Just ask about the engine. "High compression pistons" is not good enough; he should be able to tell you specifically what's in there. Ask about who did the head work, etc. Receipts would be nice. Also, if the motor is indeed tuned than the ECU would be chipped; just open the ECU and look in there(with the connectors pointed left, there's an area on the bottom right where the chipping stuff goes).

A bore-scope would help you verify the pistons though. You can try to look inside through the spark-plug hole see if the piston has a dome(very hard though). Since the motor runs, also try to get a compression test.

The transmission you probably won't be able to use anyway, but the AWD transmission has an output for the drive shaft that goes to the rear.

He's probably using a modified OBD0 engine harness. All you would have to do is swap a OBD1 harness on there.

Just ask about the engine. "High compression pistons" is not good enough; he should be able to tell you specifically what's in there. Ask about who did the head work, etc. Receipts would be nice. Also, if the motor is indeed tuned than the ECU would be chipped; just open the ECU and look in there(with the connectors pointed left, there's an area on the bottom right where the chipping stuff goes).

A bore-scope would help you verify the pistons though. You can try to look inside through the spark-plug hole see if the piston has a dome(very hard though). Since the motor runs, also try to get a compression test.

The transmission you probably won't be able to use anyway, but the AWD transmission has an output for the drive shaft that goes to the rear.

I will thanks. I will be getting as much info as I can tomorrow when I see it. I am gonna compression check,look for oil leaks. ETC. Only other info I have right now is that it has a adjustable cam gear?? and some aftermarket fuel rails.

I ended up going with the d16z6 but I think my next project i'll throw in the d15.

Really!! i would really like to hear on this one! do u have a post already open?
i have a d15b too, wud like to have some tips frm the project :)

My build is a slow-going process due to money(unstable work and helping my mom out with her medical bills) and currently waiting for the release of Megasquirt III along with some drivetrain parts(clutch and full-carbon lined synchros). I don't have a thread about it but it's been mentioned on D-series.org and Onecamonly, with more details on OCO.

My build is a slow-going process

np, just post after some major upgrade that u did. i am really interested in that, koz i dont really have much experience in tuning, and ppl say anything everywhere without proof that i will really increase hp; "u put this, u get this much hp" etc, but thats in theory, in real life its different, it might make no diff @ all.

Back