D15b No Torque

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SiR Master

I recently installed a D15b engine in place of a burnt out D16y8. Everything went well with the install and the motor runs perfect. I am however having an issue with power, it is almost like the wrong transmission is the car (though it's correct). If I drive up any grade I need to downshift to get the torque I need otherwise I will decellerate quickly. I have checked my Vtec solenoid (jumped to battery) and it seems to function I am just wondering why the car has no torque. This was also an issue when the orginal D16y8 engine was in the car when I bought it. Any help would be appreciated.

Both engines have very little torque. You need to wind them out to go anywhere with authority.

I also have a 97cx hatchback this car will blow the Si away(it shouldn't) . As well I have a nieghbor with the same Si as mine he does not have an issue like this at all. My car will never go more than 140kph.I can't really hit 5th gear until I'm doing at least 100-110 kph.Something strange is going on any ideas?

Does the car stumble or missfire? Could be fowled plugs or plug wires? Ignition timing way off? Low compression?

The motor runs perfectly smooth. The JDM D15b I installed is mint only 35,000km on the motor.It just seems like the gearing is wrong or something. My CX has tons of torque in low gears, this thing can't make it up a small hill without gearing down.

The CX engine was built and tuned from the factory to have tons of torque down low- it peaks at under 3000rpm if I remember my stats correctly. The D15B was made to rev high and peak high- that way it's more entertaining to drive, and it revs eagerly to redline to provide top end power. Its torque peak is around 6000rpm. Two different engine setups for two totally different purposes.

Thanks for the input guys, I will have the timing checked today but due to the fact the motor runs so smooth I doubt thats the issue. I had a new cat installed three weeks ago after the install (the old one was plugged due to the old D16y8) I thought maybe that would help but no change although it passed the emission test with the lowest numbers I have ever seen.I'll see what happens today. Thanks

Timing checked out perfect. The car is @2900rpm in 4th gear @110kph does this sound right to anyone? I think I should be 5th at 110kph.

That is also what I've been thinking, I was lied to when I bought the car. I'll pick one up this week .I am having a hard time finding the model number on mine. Does anyone know what code should be on the Si Tranny (I don't want to get screwed again) Thanks for everyones help

^sounds like you have the econo trans. get yourself a si tranny upgrade and call it a day

Just read your thread, surprised you didn't tell him to make sure it had the right tranny ID tag on it too. :D

Don't feel too bad, I got got the same way but on a different tranny. Was told the OD in it was good, and it was... good enough to get me to work the next day and half way home. Then "grind, whiirrrr, exhaust note from hell" Needless to say I was as pissed as you, and spent the same as you. I just drove half the time you did to get mine. I went and got ma money back (well most of it... he refunded me $87.00 cause it was all he had in his pocket at that moment)

OP does your CEL/SEL light work? How's your gas mileage? Have you checked for any undisplayed codes? (do these cars even do that?)

Last edited:
I have confirmed the tranny is the wrong one. By the way gas mileage could be better and I'm sure it will be when I get the right tranny put in.Still need the model code if anyone has it. Thanks

The reason I asked about your SEL/CEL funtionability and gas mileage is because the computer could be in limp mode (may be just a shot in the dark) and you not know it. Being in limp mode would make the ecu pull timing and hurt gas mileage/performance, correct? BTW do you have any cold start issues (stumbling, running really rich etc ) Any prior knowlege of this engine's history/how it previously ran/was maintained?

I have no cold start issues at all. The engine is a jdm 15b no history but it looks sounds and runs mint. I am intrigued by your comment though, how would I get it out of limp mode? the CEL does work.

If it was in limp mode, it wouldn't rev past ~4000rpm.

All transmissions say the same thing; PL3 or L3. Easiest way is to see the car it came out of. Then, there's differential diameter(Si is 40mm, DX is 35mm).

img3852vs9.jpg

And then, there's this method:
4gtrannyID1.jpg

This is the thread I got the pics out of(there's good info in there also): what to look for to identify si tranny? - Page 2 - Honda-Tech

Also, be sure to check the input shaft. 89-91 is recommended as 88 has a different spline count.

4000 rpm limit in limp mode... Hmmmph, hadn't thought of that. Nice catch K2.

Actually I find none of those codes. Mine has a bar code sticker it reads S20 -1054638 and in fact S20 should be an Si tranny. I believe it has been played with and maybe repaired with the wrong parts?

Back