D15B or D16 which can get me to 200WHP?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BossFerrell

what kind of cheap motor can i get to rebuild completely with new heads new cams, new pistons and rods and the whole get up to get close to 200 hp? I plan to turbo eventually but i just want to know which one i should buy when i decide to rebuild my car. and if D16 what kind of d16?

Search the forums, neither will. Building for N/A is completely different from building for turbo. Go one way or the other. But turbo is the only way you're going to make 200hp on a D series without spending 10k+

Well i plan on building for turbo, but like i said in my other post I am no mechanic so im just asking questions trying to see what is possible and what is not, but for my first build i just want to do a simple motor and d15-16 seems like the way to go for my first build.

if you're not a mechanic, dont' have a spare engine to build, and you don't have an extra car, dont' even try. save your money and just get a b18b swap and slap a turbo on later down the road.

b-series swap, ur gonna spend alot of money to get a d-series to 200hp, i wouldnt waste my time even looking at a d15

If you want to stay d series than get a d16a6, d16z6, or a zc dohc. All three will need upgraded internals and a good turbo set up to get the numbers you want and still be street-able. a B swap turbo set up will be much easier to get into the 200+ whp range.

I have a mechanic willing to help me rebuild the motor and willing to let me use his shop lifts to work on the car and such, ive seen alot of videos of the d15b running high 13s low 14s turboed at 9 psi, seems pretty quick to me, and i cant find d16s online anywhere except the ZCs, anyone know where i could buy one online?

Drop any ideas of a d15, go with a d16z6 and find a turbo kit on eBay for $900, enjoy life. You obviously haven't done your research, we have a search button, and if you did you would be asking us particulars about injector size etc etc, please come back once the site has hit you with some knowledge.

This is constructive criticism, don't take it bad in the slightest.

No sarcasm either.

Drag racing is pointless. Find a real local car club and get into autocross and HPDE (high performance driving events). So much more fun, and far more rewarding. Actually learn how to drive, not just how to launch a car. Anyone can learn that.

speaking of that chaz, how is your car? weren't you gonna drop a d15b and boost it as well last I remember?

Well i plan on building for turbo, but like i said in my other post I am no mechanic so im just asking questions trying to see what is possible and what is not, but for my first build i just want to do a simple motor and d15-16 seems like the way to go for my first build.

I just wanted to point out that building a turbo engine and building a naturally-aspirated engine are two completely different things. If your ultimate goal is to go turbo, then you don't build the engine up to a certain horsepower number first and then add the turbo, you just prep the engine for turbo and don't worry about how many horses it will make until you actually install the turbo and tune it...

Back