D15B Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RoughKnight

Christmas Car
I'm talking about the OBD1 motor, with vtec written on it. Some sites claim its 105hp, some sites claim the full 127hp. Does anybody know the 'actual' specs on the motor? Most importantly if it redlines at 7k or 6600? I'm only shifting at 6600 but i'm curious as to know. if somebody can point me in the right direction that helps also :D

i just swapped the jdm d15b into my girls crx, there are 2 versions of this motor one with 105 and another with a claimed 130 somthing wich is the one that i bought. from what ive been told it has the same redline as a z6 wich seems about right. i havent hooked up my aftermarket tach to confirm but the stock tach hits 7k with no rev limiter being hit running a p28.

New Questions

Mine has silver top, got a black top. Think I got shortchanged at all? I can go to 7k, but I feel safer knowing if it's right or not

Also I wanted to know a few other things.
Is running 89 octane bad? I thought that since the japanese don't have 87 octane in japan I had to run higher octane to compensate? Should I stick with 87 to be safe?

Next question, Enclosed are pics of the p28 that came with the motor. I opened my p06 to compare, and other than the obvious vtec bridge on the motherboard, there are two spots that are wierd. One is missing a "ball like connecter" thing, and the second looks like there is solder on the motherboard probably from a past chipping. Yes no?

Third question, I'm running the p06 as a test to see if it will change things, will that be fine until I get one of these two chipped to run the p08 maps? I know if i run the p06 I wont have vtec, but any other downsides?

Attachments

• new pic.jpg
    new pic.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 161
  • iPhone Pics 016.jpg
    iPhone Pics 016.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 202
  • iPhone Pics 032.jpg
    iPhone Pics 032.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
well the engine looks just like mine. check and see what the code is stamped on the head.

what code is stamped on the head? its says d15b near the bottom left of the block, is there another place too look at it?

and that p06 question?

there is a stamp on the front of the head with a number. as for the ecu ive been told that you have to run a p28 with this engine unless you have a chipped ecu already with the proper map set in and the vtec wired in. ive been out of the honda game for a while now and im just now getting back into it and learning about all the chipping and reflashing of differant ecu's. im just sticking with the p28 till i go to boost, then its gettin chipped.

yea i'll jsut do that
also can anybody tell if that p28 i posted up there had been chipped in the past? just curious because with the p06 i drove around under 3500rpm and it was fine, no cel, but with the p28 the iacv air sensor light kept poping up throwing the car into limp mode until it warmed up...then i'd ghettoly turn it off mid drive and turn it back on to clear the code and run normal maps...

Last edited:
from the pics it looks like a 130hp d15b on the 105 the intake manifold is smaller, and it should red line juts like a d16z6 about 7200 rpm

i will pull the cover off my p28 and take a hi res pic, i know mine hasnt been chipped. then you can compare. just gove me a lil while.

I was always under the impression it was about 130 hp and the non vtec D15B7 was about 105 or 107.

i think there is a thread on super honda that give great descrptions on all the d series jdm motors, what they came out of and what the power rating is. its been raining all day here so i havent had a chance to take that pic for you yet.

Thanks bro I appriate it! I tried yo rev to 7k with my half on exhaust... Not bad. Can't wait for my 2.5" exhaust system :) rep when I get my answer. Btw I talked to my local tuner about chipping my p06 and he said, and I quote "you can chip it for another basemap but the circutry is not designed to handle it and slight variations will occur. My competition does this service and I always end up having to fix whatever engine problem that occurs because of it. So yea, get a 450$ tune for the stock motor with I/h/e and that will fix u right up."

lolwut

Back