D15b vs d16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bistec

Project EH23
Hi, i'm going to start by thanking all of you that taking time to read and help guys like me that doesn't know a lot on honda engines.

I have an auto d16z6 with 154000 miles. I want to change it to manual and at the same time get a low mileage jdm engine. I know b series engines are the favorite swap. But i really want to keep a D series engine. I've made a lot of search on the subject here and on dseries.org, but to be honest i'm still really confused.:confused: My choice is the jdm d15b engine. I didn't buy it yet but it's already giving me headache. :mad:

1-Here is the engine i want to get:from ebay eBay Motors: JDM D15B VTEC SOHC 92-95 HONDA CIVIC / DEL SOL (item 290064153190 end time Dec-30-06 10:10:41 PST)
From hmo: http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30019

What do you think about it?

2- Is the d15b really worth when i already have a d16z6? Am i making a mistake?

3- Anything wrong with that engine?

4- Any suggestions, ideas?

5- What's the best d serie engine?

6- Also will a jdm engine pass smog in Massachusetts?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
it you alredy have a z6 just build that one if your gona buy a new d series anthow then i would by the d15b vtec there more agressive than the z6

The other reason why i want to get an other engine is that since i'll go manual , i prefer going with an engine that has a ready manual transmission and ecu. It will make it easier for me to just change the clutch and be done other than dealing with other stuff that i don't really understand. Some people talking about getting a manual starter and other things like that if i want to keep the z6. Am i wrong to think that way? One of my concern is that the z6 seems to have more available parts than the d15b. Will i lock myself by getting it? I won't go turbo. Is there any way of building that engine for n/a performance. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

well i would just keep the z6 sence it was a auto the motor will be in better shape than one that come stock 5spd all you need is a fly wheels for a 5spd.

That's all i need? A flywheel for 5 speed? No need to change my starter?
So i need:
1- 5 speed tranny for d-series ( any exceptions?),
2- 5 speed ecu ( which one? p08, p28? I don't even know which one comes with the d16z6),
3- clutch (will i need a pressure plate for 5 speed or are they the same?)
4- 5 speed flywheel
5- tranny mounts (will manual tranny mounts fit on auto chassis?
6- shift linkage, pedal assembly, shifter assembly.

Correct me if i'm wrong: if i replace the auto tranny on a stock d16z6(154000miles) with an 5 speed tranny , this engine would perform or have better shape than a stock 5 speed d 15b

use the p28 get a 5spd clutch kit with pressure plate linkage and im not real sure about the starter

I wouldn't have bought it if i knew it. That why i've started this thread.:( . Thanks for your help. I'll see now what i can do with that engine.

You wasted your money buying a D15B if you already had a Z6. It's an overhyped JDM engine. The money you spent on that would've paid for your auto to manual conversion. Now you still have to pay for that anyway and you'll be lucky to get $300 out of your Z6.

You're welcomed, nfames. Where i'm coming from we use to say : "Don't be afraid to fall down! Be afraid of not being able to stand up after". We should focus on why we're here: get help and help the best way we can . Let enjoy this wonderful honda world.

I've started this thread to get help on a engine choice. Right now i have already ordered the jdm d15b. Looks like it wasn't a good choice according to Blanco. Here what i understand. The d15b is a good engine. But not a good one if you already have a d16z6 that's still running without problems even if it has 154000 miles ( correct me if i'm wrong). If that is true , i have made a mistake. The best thing will be letting others that want to get that engine know about it before they do the same mistake. Also , for those who already have the d15b or are getting it, we could try to post as much infos (experiments) on that engine to help with the confusion that seems to lead this engine discussion (again correct me if i'm wrong).

1) What are the potential of this engine?
2) What can be done to make it powerful?
3) What are the problems you'll encounter with it?
4) What parts can be interchange or not with his big brother z6 or any other d series engines?
5) Where to get parts that are unique to the d15b ( n/a or fi)?
6) .......................
7) .......................
8) .......................

x) .......................

Anything you can add will be great.
Since i'm swapping the d15b i'll take a lot of pics and post them.

Thanks every body and happy new year!

Last edited:
From what i've read, the piston are strange because they are unique to the d15b not even the same as the other d15. Some people said that the vx pistons can be used as a replacement. If you're going to stay N/A you'll be fine with your internal and aftermarket parts (after market parts are the same for both engine except for the head parts(different cam?). But if you're going to turbo, you have 2choices
1- (Low boost): Go with bolt on turbo kit that doesn't require internal upgrade .
2- (High boost): Upgrade your internal by getting custom made forged pistons (the rods are said to be the same as the z6 ones). The custom made pistons are not cheap.( Which ones aren't?)

Again this is from what i've read. Need to be verified.

Nflames, i don't think you're going to find a z6 in a jdm site. They're also hard to find with low mileage.

I can't find a z6 on any of the jdm sites all I can find is the d15b. Still considering going with the b18, but the price for the d15b is a lot cheaper, which means I could use the extra money for more aftermarket parts. I'm still confused too:confused:

Does anyone know if the z6 and d15 timing belt and water pump are the same?

Someone said that he did use the z6 one on the d15 and he has no problem so far(5k) . Does it means that they're different but the z6 one can be used in the d15b? Also where to get the right one for the d15b?
Thanks.

they are different.

i don't think so, they must be the same though... i could have sworn that they were a smigen different(same bolt holes but spread out a little different) that and i believe the z6 specific one flows at a little higher rate. i got one on ebay for cheap. i'v had it for a long time with no problems.

Is it one like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220049791258&rd=1,1 ? Is the honda dealer the only place to get the vx timing belt ? Thanks.

i don't think so, they must be the same though... i could have sworn that they were a smigen different(same bolt holes but spread out a little different) that and i believe the z6 specific one flows at a little higher rate. i got one on ebay for cheap. i'v had it for a long time with no problems.

Just drop the D15b in and Turbo it. Thats me and my boy did to his car. Was pretty quick to. Beating Stock B16's and what not. It ended up blowing in a little over a year though. But not a bad life for a stock engine running at 12 PSI

more boost doesn't always mean more power...you could have gotten away with 8 psi with a correct tune and got the same amount of horsepower and torque

Back