d15b vtec build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtecsir1

i need some suggections because im hearing several diferent things on this. i want to build a jdm d15b vtec up some, does anyone have expierience with this motor? i want to add pistons and a cam and upgrade the valvetrain, which parts are compatible? i hear the d16z6 cam will work but the timing will be all screwed up is this true? this motor has a higher compression then the d16z6 so does that mean its going to be harder to put say zc pistons in it? im assuming that the valetrain will be d16z6 parts. any help guys i would appreciate before i start spending money.

Your stroke is shorter and your compression height is taller- so dropping in DOHC ZC pistons won't increase your compression at all. I don't know about the camshaft. I think most of the head pieces are interchangeable though.

If you want to increase compression and you're willing to pull apart the bottom end to swap pistons, just build up a D16 short block with DOHC ZC pistons and throw the VTEC head on top.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 23 2004, 12:54 PM

If you want to increase compression and you're willing to pull apart the bottom end to swap pistons, just build up a D16 short block with DOHC ZC pistons and throw the VTEC head on top.

i may consider this, you recommend the zc pistons then for that.

my goals arent 1/4 mile times because i could care less i just want something to push decent for autocross thats cheap to build back up

Back